Man Struck by Lightning Calling Friends by Phone

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Man Struck by Lightning Calling Friends by Phone

Post by hanno »

explorer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:14 am You have more chance of winning the lottery than being hit by lightning. It is not something to worry about.

People ride motorbikes on these dangerous roads. There are thousands of times more road accidents than people being hit by lightning.
True that, but I spend a lot of time outdoors running and bird watching and always keep an eye out for lightning. The storms around Temple Town often roll in very quickly and many areas are completely flat and barren. I'd rather hit a ditch then find out if I make a good lightning rod.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:28 am
explorer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 am I have rented a room in a block of 60. Just recently it started raining and the wifi went off. When the rain stopped I went over to tell them. They had unplugged it, as they were concerned about it being hit by lightning. When the rain stopped they had not bothered to plug it back in. After I spoke to them they plugged it back in. A few days later it rained again. Guess what, they unplugged the wifi. I had to go and educate them. With their fear of lightning, they inconvenience 60 families.
It's the modem they were concerned about, a strike to the power line could cause a surge and take out the modem.

Should I Unplug the Modem when there is Lightning?

When thunderstorms are in your area it is not always safe to just turn off your modem. It does not matter if your modem is in a home or office it is imperative to protect it during a storm. Many times when lightning strikes this can cause a sudden power surge, in return the modem can be completely destroyed leaving you without cable connection. So if there happens to be lighting in your area, or even just a thunderstorm in general, the safest way to go is to turn off AND unplug the modem as well as all the cords connected to it. http://regionsupply.com/pages/faq/unplugmodem.php
As I mentioned in another thread, a nearby lightning strike caused a power surge that killed my Android TV box the other day. It's always been particularly susceptible to EM noise though. Just plugging in or unplugging something else would cause it to glitch every time. Bought a different brand to replace it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Two men were walking across a field. All of a sudden one of them was hit by lightning. His friend said, you're not dead, and lightning never strikes in the same place twice, so you have nothing to worry about. A while later he was hit by lightning again. His friend said, where did it get you this time?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

explorer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:14 am You have more chance of winning the lottery than being hit by lightning. It is not something to worry about.

People ride motorbikes on these dangerous roads. There are thousands of times more road accidents than people being hit by lightning.
1800 road deaths in 2017.

110 lightning strike deaths in 2019.

So, driving is only 17 times deadlier in Cambodia than lightning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

When I was a kid about ten years old ( 1957 ) helping mum in the cowshed with 10 to 15 cows and using the separator to separate the cream which was sent away , lightning struck the power-pole near the shed which was on top of a hill
Luckily everything was earthed but that still did not stop me and the cows getting one hell of a shock. One cow outside the shed died. Didn't ever want that to happen again so I always wore gumboots in the shed after that.

That's the cow shed in the foreground

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Surely gum boots for the cows would have been better?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

davegorman wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 pm Surely gum boots for the cows would have been better?

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic