Swiss Man Detained for Switching Fake $100 at Phnom Penh ATM

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Swiss Man Detained for Switching Fake $100 at Phnom Penh ATM

Post by chkwoot »

Hi Samuel, thanks for the info. So you're obviously in contact with this man. What is happening with his case? What are his lawyers saying? Will he be able to pay a fine and go home? How much? Where are they keeping him? In the video there is a woman in a blue dress who seems to be waiting for him. Who is she? Swiss? Local? Was she also detained? Where is she now?

I'm sorry this happened to your friend, but maybe this will help others to not make poor choices while in Cambodia.

Ps: I just listened to some of your music on Soundcloud. Are you also a DJ, or is it just a hobby?
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

samuel.langenegger wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:19 pm Im a friend of this man and as always what you get from officials is just the half story.
He got the fake bill from an ATM just the other day from the same bank. As he didn‘t check the notes immediately after receiving them and just noticed it much too late he decided to „give the fake bill back“ the next time he withdraws money from this same bank.
Why would you believe that? Isn't that what a criminal caught red handed would say? "OK, you got me. The video shows me switching the bills. But I swear I'm not a scammer, they scammed me first."

Why would you believe him? Because he doesn't look very trustworthy to me.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

“Friend”. Righto.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:16 am A lot of the foreigners who come over here are criminals.
John

If people try to have an honest discussion about Cambodian culture, you attack them.

Then you say a lot of the foreigners who come over here are criminals.

So we can say bad things about foreigners, but we are not allowed to be honest about Cambodians.

Maybe you just criticise for the sake of criticizing. Maybe you just want to upset people.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic