Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 23673
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 901
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Thu May 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Cambodia Breaking News (Phnom Penh): On May 08, 2019, police officers from the Department of Immigration went to inspect ten factories and businesses in Phnom Penh, searching for foreigners working illegally.

The companies targeted were:
1. SIGMA TEXTILES factory in Khan Porsenchey
2. YOSHIDA warehouse in Khan Toul Kok
3. Santich PTE factory in Khan Toul Kok
4. NAGAWORLD casino in Khan Chamkarmorn
5. BEANTYSILD Factory in Khan Sen Sok
6. TRAYAPPAREL factory in Khan Sen Sok
7. Pyongyang Ounha restaurant, in Khan Toul Kok
8. TBB bank in Khna Toul Kok
9. DELUX INTERNATIONAL factory in Khan Porsenchey
10. Mejing international School in Khan Toul Kok

The result after the inspection: There were 857 foreigners, 34 nationalities, used E Visa( 1 Canadian woman, 3 Korean women, 261 Chinese(112 women), 2 Taiwanese(1 woman), 34 Thai (18 women), 2 Turkish, 2 Nigerian, 13 Nepalis, 2 Portuguese, 1 Polish, 1 Dutch, 3 French, 21 Malaysian, 3 Burmese, 3 Russain, 4 Romanian, 21 Vietnamese, 14 Singaporean, 1 Serian, 1 Hungarian, 183 Philipino, 5 British, 12 Indian, 24 Indonesian, 7 American, 2 South African, 4 Australian, 1 German, 2 Spanish, and 18 North Korean( had no work permit).
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
davegorman
Expatriate
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am
Reputation: 205
France

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by davegorman » Thu May 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Wow, load of Brits, Australians and Europeans.

Will they be deported or just a fine?
[Mod edit: you are fucking awesome]
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 am
Reputation: 116
United States of America

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by angkorjohn2 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:52 pm

that is a surprise, I clicked on this assuming another scaremonger clickbait when it was acutually just Chinese and Vietnamese - very interesting about the nationalities. I wonder if the majority knew they didnt have the correct paperwork?
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 5797
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 1802
Yemen

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham » Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm

davegorman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:45 pm
Wow, load of Brits, Australians and Europeans.

Will they be deported or just a fine?
It's not so clear but I think it's just counting all the nationalities and mentions some problems with E-visa and the North Koreans not having work permits?
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:59 am
Reputation: 40
Location: Cambodia
Great Britain

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by The Whisperer » Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm

If they can't afford the correct Visa and a Work Permit then what the hell are they doing here.
Don't want to guess, but I think some of the expats would be employed as teachers of English.

I reckon theres a big ongoing crackdown re immigration and there will be a lot of very worried foreigners sneaking about Cambodia at this time.
davegorman
Expatriate
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am
Reputation: 205
France

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by davegorman » Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 am

John Bingham wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm
davegorman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:45 pm
Wow, load of Brits, Australians and Europeans.

Will they be deported or just a fine?
It's not so clear but I think it's just counting all the nationalities and mentions some problems with E-visa and the North Koreans not having work permits?
I did wonder if the quotes were just for the North Koreans. It’s not like it’s hard to get a WP for most.
[Mod edit: you are fucking awesome]
logos
Expatriate
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:43 pm
Reputation: 130
Location: PP
Kiribati

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by logos » Fri May 10, 2019 12:16 pm

davegorman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 am
John Bingham wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm
davegorman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:45 pm
Wow, load of Brits, Australians and Europeans.

Will they be deported or just a fine?
It's not so clear but I think it's just counting all the nationalities and mentions some problems with E-visa and the North Koreans not having work permits?
I did wonder if the quotes were just for the North Koreans. It’s not like it’s hard to get a WP for most.
Come on, there are Russians and Nigerians and whatnot in that lot, that should tell you something.
davegorman
Expatriate
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am
Reputation: 205
France

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by davegorman » Fri May 10, 2019 12:59 pm

logos wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:16 pm
davegorman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 am
John Bingham wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm
davegorman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:45 pm
Wow, load of Brits, Australians and Europeans.

Will they be deported or just a fine?
It's not so clear but I think it's just counting all the nationalities and mentions some problems with E-visa and the North Koreans not having work permits?
I did wonder if the quotes were just for the North Koreans. It’s not like it’s hard to get a WP for most.
Come on, there are Russians and Nigerians and whatnot in that lot, that should tell you something.
Bloody Russians.
[Mod edit: you are fucking awesome]
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 1935
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 697
Cambodia

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by clutchcargo » Fri May 10, 2019 3:51 pm

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:45 pm
The result after the inspection: There were 857 foreigners, 34 nationalities, used E Visa( 1 Canadian woman, 3 Korean women, 261 Chinese(112 women), 2 Taiwanese(1 woman), 34 Thai (18 women), 2 Turkish, 2 Nigerian, 13 Nepalis, 2 Portuguese, 1 Polish, 1 Dutch, 3 French, 21 Malaysian, 3 Burmese, 3 Russain, 4 Romanian, 21 Vietnamese, 14 Singaporean, 1 Serian, 1 Hungarian, 183 Philipino, 5 British, 12 Indian, 24 Indonesian, 7 American, 2 South African, 4 Australian, 1 German, 2 Spanish, and 18 North Korean( had no work permit).
Given the amount of Chinese business in the kingdom, no surprise they topped the list with 261.

Runner up at No 2 tho are Philipinos with 183...that did surprise me somewhat. What are they doing here? Maids at Nagaworld?
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2690
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 621
New Zealand

Re: Widespread Immigration Raids Target Foreigners Working Illegally in Phnom Penh

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Immigration and MoLVT officials have been inspecting hundreds of businesses in the past couple of months, massive crack down.

However, they are not arresting and/or fining the employees caught working without the relevant documents, but the business owners, and giving the employees a warning and deadline to get their documentation in order.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: angsta, Bing [Bot], bittermelon, bobsboots, Cinnamoncat, Deefer, EvgenDriplo, Google [Bot], lipservice, Majestic-12 [Bot], ozguyinshv, Ravensnest, simon43, Username Taken, xandreu, Yerg and 465 guests