40kg Python Snake Caught in Phnom Penh Lake

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

40kg Python Snake Caught in Phnom Penh Lake

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: On May 05, 2019, at 5 pm, local people in south Prey Pring 1 village caught a 40kg python snake in a lake at Cham Chao, Khan Porsenchey, Phnom Penh.

A 36-year-old man, Heng Sen, said that he and his neighbor found the python snake, so they captured it to keep at his house until he returned the snake to the wildlife conservation center.

The wildlife conservation team said it was the 94th snake that had been caught and handed in by local people. All the pythons were sent to be released in Tamao mountain wildlife reserve in Takao.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: 40kg Python Snake Caught in Phnom Penh Lake

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That's funny as three weeks ago, I saw a bunch of construction workers catch a huge python at the old beong kok lake. Their Chinese foreman had that stunned foreigner look on him, and the guys were all happy about their find, though I'm 95% judging by their faces that it ended up in their stomachs that very night (this was around 8pm). Surprising to have pythons that large roaming around town, but I guess there are plenty of rats around for them to feed on.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:12 pm That's funny as three weeks ago, I saw a bunch of construction workers catch a huge python at the old beong kok lake. Their Chinese foreman had that stunned foreigner look on him, and the guys were all happy about their find, though I'm 95% judging by their faces that it ended up in their stomachs that very night (this was around 8pm). Surprising to have pythons that large roaming around town, but I guess there are plenty of rats around for them to feed on.
Small dogs would also be a nice meal.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not sure if people eat them so much. I tried to buy a big python that some locals had caught one time, it looked huge like 3-4 meters and they stuck it in a sack. I offered them $100 then $200 for it and they refused. I was chatting with an old lady and she said the big snakes have a Neak Ta or grandfather spirit and if you sold one you would have terrible luck and be poor for ever. The guys did take it in the direction of the nearby swamp/ lake.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Also... looks like a reticulated python from the markings on the body. These things can be more aggressive than a Burmese and while not as large bodied they can grow longer.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

There were over half sized n pythons kept in the Canadia Industrial Park Reserve, which has.... yep, been destroyed due to Chinese investment and development.

That was the absolute most tranquil area in all of Phnom Penh. Fucking maggots.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

First instinct was to check my pants. Relieved to see everything was still there & in order. #PythonGoals
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:38 pm Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: On May 05, 2019, at 5 pm, local people in south Prey Pring 1 village caught a 40kg python snake in a lake at Cham Chao, Khan Porsenchey, Phnom Penh.

A 36-year-old man, Heng Sen, said that he and his neighbor found the python snake, so they captured it to keep at his house until he returned the snake to the wildlife conservation center.

The wildlife conservation team said it was the 94th snake that had been caught and handed in by local people. All the pythons were sent to be released in Tamao mountain wildlife reserve in Takao.
My God, nearly the same weight as the wife, but I suppose when angry not half as dangerous.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy; other times I let her sleep.
blerrr9
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blerrr9 »

Don't know what to do if that thing is in my house. It's so big and can crush my bones with their body. OMG :dm: :silent:
YOLO

Follow your heart
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

Spigzy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:52 pm First instinct was to check my pants. Relieved to see everything was still there & in order. #PythonGoals
I'm pretty sure pythons don't eat inch worms. You're safe. :D Oh, you meant...never mind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic