Motor bike rental

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Salavan
Tourist
Great Britain

Motor bike rental

Post by Salavan »

Can anyone tell me if I need a driving licence to rent a motorbike in cambodia
I only have a Thai driving licence but I heard that this is not reconised in cambodia
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Motor bike rental

Post by Paulo »

Up to 125cc a license isn't required.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Paulo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:02 pm Up to 125cc a license isn't required.
Not according to the licensing office in AEON 2. Foreigners need a license from home country and an international driving permit. This is on the basis that you can only drive in Cambodia what you are allowed to drive at home. So if you have a car licence and no bike licence you would not be allowed to drive a bike at home therefore you cannot drive one here. of course, being cambodia thats likely to be interpreted differently by a traffic cop, usually to his advantage.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

pczz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:40 pm
Not according to the licensing office in AEON 2. Foreigners need a license from home country and an international driving permit. This is on the basis that you can only drive in Cambodia what you are allowed to drive at home. So if you have a car licence and no bike licence you would not be allowed to drive a bike at home therefore you cannot drive one here. of course, being cambodia thats likely to be interpreted differently by a traffic cop, usually to his advantage.
Still waiting to see that in writing somewhere. I've heard many times that "different for foreigner" but yet to see it in print.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

I only reason I ride a 125 is because I was under the illusion that it was OK. Well fuck em... 2,294 cc Triumph Rocket III.. Image
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Not sure how it is applied in other parts of Cambodia, but IDP is no good in Siem Reap for Moto over 125, you need a Cambodian driving licence, AEON 2, 10 USD,
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I thought Cambodia was not part if the international driving license scheme? Not to say they won't recognize one from other countries just I dont think they can issue
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

In 14 years riding all manor of bikes, I have been asked for my license 0 times.
They do not recognise IDLs here.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Element6 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:41 am I thought Cambodia was not part if the international driving license scheme? Not to say they won't recognize one from other countries just I dont think they can issue
We need someone who knows. As far as i am aware Cambodia is not part of the IDP scheme and did not recognise them, but in an article in PPpost or Khmer times where a chines killed his passenger by driving into the back of a truck carrying wood the policemen said "a foreigner must have a driving license or an IDP and the driver had none" paraphrasing from memory cos i cannot fon the article now. I did meet someone who claimed a fixer managed to get him an IDP in Cambodia. It migh be possible for your other country license but presumably not for your cambodian license? Any traffic law expets in the house?
Travelandseek
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Travelandseek »

Can I use my Thai driving license in Cambodia ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic