Hiring Delivery Driver?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Hiring Delivery Driver?

Post by Kammekor »

Tarndog wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:34 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:03 pm 12$ a day, that's 1.50 per hour, and that's 70$ a week, with little possibilities to have another job on the side.

Too much to starve, too little to live on.

Maybe that's the issue?

I mean, it's not the kind of job where tips are given easily, or there are other ways to 'arrange' extra income other than taking out fuel or using the truck for your own business besides your normal work.
$70/week is absolutely not too little to live on, especially for a Khmer!!
Apparently the driver did not agree, he let the job go.
Tarndog wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:34 pm But perhaps it's even too much?? $280 for a month might fool them into thinking they've got enough beer money for awhile and don't need a job.
Yes, 280 USD used to be quite some money. Ten years ago.
Tarndog wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:34 pm Hell, there are Khmer with university degrees that don't earn that much (from their main occupation, freelancing excluded).
I don't know any uni-graduate, doing uni-graduate work, on less than 280 a month. But maybe we operate in different markets.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

JerryCan wrote:...and he just got fired.

Any recommendations for a driver would be appreciated I suppose.
I'm not sure who you're hiring but my suggestion, as both a person who worked logistics for a couple decades and a person who has many Khmer delivery drivers on the wife's side of the family,...find an older person (50+) who has been driving for years but is tired of being away from home every night and sleeping in their truck, someone with a family who appreciates th the money. Drug test them. Give a small mechanical apptitude type test to make sure they can fix any minor issues if they have a breakdown. If you have issues finding a replacement I may have a few qualified relatives who would jump at the chance for a stable job making $3-$400 + meal allowance.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

None of our drivers have been over 30, and none have had any mechanical experience either.

Thank you for the advice and I'll pass it on to the hiring manager, seems how we're now in need of a new driver.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic