Aircon remote sensor repair?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Aircon remote sensor repair?

Post by JerryCan »

:tophat:

I don't know if it's been the power outages or not, but the remote sensor on the aircon in my office stopped working recently. Confirmed it's the sensor on the aircon unit itself, not the remote controller. Aircon purchased new several years ago from a Sharp dealer in Phnom Penh (the big store that sells cars too).

Called the Sharp tech to come look at it, looked at the board and told me "no have" the parts. Can't even order them. Had another guy come to check just now, and he said "can not".

I don't want to replace the entire head unit because of the sensor, but I don't know how else to go about repairing it. Anyone else know someone who can fix the mainboard, or at least sells parts to replace it with?

Cheers,
JerryCan
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Aircon remote sensor repair?

Post by Brody »

That sucks.

This literally just happened to me last week. The A/C in my office stopped responding to the remote. Luckily it got stuck in the on position so I would just turn it off and on via the circuit breaker.

We had our regular guy that cleans our A/C units come by and he opened it up and popped the sensor out and the little circuit board attached to it. He tried cleaning some corrosion off of it but that didn't work. So he took it home with him and came back the next day with a new sensor.

We've got a Samsung inverter.

If you had two guys out to look at it maybe it is something more than just the sensor?
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

It seems to be the sensor is the only problem. Both of them said the sensor was bad, then they said "no can" to fix it. There's nothing odd about the board itself, just looks to be a 3 pot solder job.

I'll just have another go then with a different chap and hope it was just the last guys being a little lazy.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

JerryCan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:00 pm It seems to be the sensor is the only problem. Both of them said the sensor was bad, then they said "no can" to fix it. There's nothing odd about the board itself, just looks to be a 3 pot solder job.

I'll just have another go then with a different chap and hope it was just the last guys being a little lazy.
We've had this, and it honestly doesn't seem to be a scam to flog you a new or refurbished unit - simply "no hab."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

Well, two more repair people called, no luck. First guy yesterday "Okay, be there at 2", never showed up. Second guy, "I need to take it home to fix it." Okay, hang on a second and talk to my boss upstairs. Came down, disappeared, turned off his phone, can't get in touch...

So we bought a new bloody unit and just had it put in. On the plus side, room is WAY cooler now. 1.5 horsepower to the rescue.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

if it's the same kind of IR sensor as in TVs then all the TV repair places on St 107 by Orussey would have a spare one. Sorry it's a bit late now I guess.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:28 pm if it's the same kind of IR sensor as in TVs then all the TV repair places on St 107 by Orussey would have a spare one. Sorry it's a bit late now I guess.
Cheers for that, I doubt I'll have time in the near future to run down and find out, but I'll keep it in mind. We still have the old unit sitting on the floor so it's worth a shot at getting it fixed.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Anyone know where i can buy a universal/TV remote please?

My Sony TV remote is fuckity fucked and i need a new one. I had a quick look in K4 at the corner of monivong and 360 i think it is, but no dice. I'd rather not trudge thru markets if possible, fuck all that noise.

Also, if anyone knows where i can get some decent basketball shorts that'd be rad :thumb:

Thanks
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I had an app on my phone that controlled the AC and TV. It only worked for Android phones that have the needed sensor, like Samsung galaxy.

Side note- I could also control TVs at bars or anybody’s home, that was fun ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic