Forum trolls or real evil?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Forum trolls or real evil?

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Did the shooter declare his intentions online?

Report: An anti-Semitic open letter was posted online under the name of the suspected shooter from San Diego
According to reports, an anti-Semitic open letter was posted online under the name of a man suspected of opening fire at Chabad of Poway Saturday. The letter was posted on an online far-right message board hours before the attack.

According to NBC News, the letter was posted by a user identifying himself as John Earnest. The letter is defined by the reports as "a white nationalist open letter".

The letter was followed by a Facebook link and the words "a livestream will begin shortly", although it seems that no livestream was broadcast from the incident.

The NBC News report noted that the online post appears near identical to the one Brenton Tarrant left hours before opening fire at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand and that Tarrant and Pittsburgh synagogue shooter Robert Bowers are listed as a direct inspiration in the letter.

The letter claims the shooter began planning his attack shortly after the New Zealand attack.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/262336

Not simply to dredge up garbage from the past but recently this forum has had some fairly nasty comments made by some posters. I lose my cool sometimes and post things that are offensive, others may intentionally post controversial topics in order to gain notoriety. I enjoy that the forum is moderated with minimum interference.

At what point does someone's rant become a threat or an indication that violence is about to occur?

It seems that the violence of today needs to be announced in advance and is increasingly livestreamed. I am not directing my comments at any particular poster and welcome the views of all.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Forum trolls or real evil?

Post by frank lee bent »

deeds follow words, especially if like minded associates support those words.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:38 pm Not simply to dredge up garbage from the past but recently this forum has had some fairly nasty comments made by some posters = troll. I lose my cool sometimes and post things that are offensive, others may intentionally post controversial topics in order to gain notoriety. I enjoy that the forum is moderated with minimum interference.

At what point does someone's rant become a threat or an indication that violence is about to occur?

It seems that the violence of today needs to be announced in advance and is increasingly livestreamed. I am not directing my comments at any particular poster and welcome the views of all.
Yes, I think that anyone who posts hate-speech against a religion or or an ethnic group has a responsibility in creating violence. You have the right to say what you want on the internet, but think about what you are saying about others and think about the consequences of your words.

From the beginning, CEO was started as an alternative forum with posters who have sometimes very different opinions. I'm still up for that, I think it's good that there are lots of diverse takes on life in general, and life in Cambodia, and I think we are doing fine mostly, :banana: but it needs to be clear that this is a Cambodian expat forum, and all the political posts about the domestic affairs in the US and the UK are just gusts in the wind to most Cambodian expats. So yes, keep talking from overseas, but here in Cambodia we might think that power outages and weather are more important than Brexit or US elections right now. :dm:
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Can a person be held accountable for another's interpretation? At what point has it gone too far? You can commit crimes with your words, you can also say things that cause others to commit crimes, however if that's not your intent should you still be liable? Isn't everything more or less open to interpretation? I like the freedom of speech online, it allows idiots and arseholes to identify themselves easier, the digging up of old tweets to prove at least part of a persons character at the time has seemed quite handy.

You thought it, you wrote it, you posted it.

Words are weapons, or are they?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:38 pm Not simply to dredge up garbage from the past but recently this forum has had some fairly nasty comments made by some posters = troll. I lose my cool sometimes and post things that are offensive, others may intentionally post controversial topics in order to gain notoriety. I enjoy that the forum is moderated with minimum interference.

Yes, I think that anyone who posts hate-speech against a religion or or an ethnic group has a responsibility in creating violence. You have the right to say what you want on the internet, but think about what you are saying about others and think about the consequences of your words.

From the beginning, CEO was started as an alternative forum with posters who have sometimes very different opinions. I'm still up for that, I think it's good that there are lots of diverse takes on life in general, and life in Cambodia, and I think we are doing fine mostly, :banana: but it needs to be clear that this is a Cambodian expat forum, and all the political posts about the domestic affairs in the US and the UK are just gusts in the wind to most Cambodian expats. So yes, keep talking from overseas, but here in Cambodia we might think that power outages and weather are more important than Brexit or US elections right now. :dm:
I am located 72 km north of the Cambodian border, my power goes out every time we have a good rainstorm, I was in Cambodia last Sunday. Should I only post will I am on that side of the line or is it permissible to post when I am in one of Sisaket's many Khmer speaking communities as well? I agree hate speach has no place on CEO
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

You thought it, you wrote it, you posted it.
Words are weapons, or are they?
Ok, for me, everyone who stirs up hate with words is equally responsible for the climate of violence, online and IRL.
If Islamic extremists are responsible for what they preach - anti-western hate speech for example - and I would hold them responsible for their words and any resulting violent actions - then anti-Muslim hate speech is just as responsible for attacks against innocent Muslims. Be accountable for what you post and what you say.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 pm

I think Mack mentioned it in the other post that he cleaned up, but he has been good w/ feedback and responding. He also said its partly on us. If we feel this way about a post-- just report it. Having said that, this isn't a "safe space" then get the "snowflake" comment-- because people might lump that idea into what we are all discussing It's ok to have different opinions etc..debate.. obv u guys stated this already
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic