Visiting an Orphanage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Visiting an Orphanage

Post by rozzieoz »

xandreu wrote:I agree that children should not be tourist attractions, but there's nothing wrong with the sentiment of wanting to help. It's a little odd that people like to jump down the throats of people who express a desire to help in some way.

Visiting an orphanage with the intention of donating gifts or money is at worst, a little misguided. Nothing else.

The real exploitation is coming from the people who are using these children to benefit themselves.
It’s extremely damaging to the children, do your damn research ffs.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

The children suffer emotionally. Have you seen how quickly they want to hug westerners (wether it’s by instruction or instinct) then a few pictures (Instagram and FB) and off the westerner goes. Until the next one, and so on.

Children need routines.

It’s a fucking disgrace.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I am going to assume you have read the various links posted, including the one i found regarding sunrise? Yes ? if so you have a serious case of this

charlie
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Good Lord. Wherever did I even hint, let alone suggest that I thought visiting orphanages was a good idea? Seems that some people are so quick to demonstrate what righteous, upstanding, considerate and moral people they are, they can't be bothered to read a post properly.

The gist of my post (sigh), was that while most of us can see the damage that visiting orphans does to the emotional well-being of the children, others don't. But that doesn't justify insinuating that they are somehow bad people. They are simply misguided, who, I'm sure, once the negative aspects of it are explained to them, will fully agree with how damaging it is.

I still stand by the fact that there's nothing wrong with the basic sentiment of wanting to help. It's just that doing it through visiting orphanages is a misguided way of going about it.

Now put your handbags away.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

The original poster was told in no uncertain terms the politics/money behind the orphan business, He was asking for advice regarding visiting an orphanage and was given a few links so that he could make his own mind up. Nobody is having a go at you? You have said visiting orphans is not a good idea so why are you annoyed ?

Charlie
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

Just give your spare cash to one of those trash collectors. At least they are working.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Funny that post as i give all my 500 Riel notes to an elderly lady who always keeps the street clean near my home from early morning until evening. I pay her each week and she sometimes gets 40000 riel

She is always smiling and often is seen in her glad rags going to the Wat.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:25 am Being that I personally met numerous people who are better off, and some enormously so such as my wife, it lends to my support of them as an organization.
Yep. Totally understand that your experience varies - but I would suggest this may have been in the distant past (although correct me otherwise) as I've been on the ground in the past few years and it was a very different perspective for me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

The reality is that the "extended family" in Cambodia welcomes children in when parents aren't available. I've been told that in some orphanages, the children go home on the weekends (it's like boarding school with food).

Certain heads of orphanages have been in Cambodia for many long years. I remember routinely running into one back when I was first in the Kingdom of Wonder, and low and behold, she is still there. I believe that there was an interesting technique for putting a disabled young man to sleep at night.

As a high school teacher, I'll mention that visitors aren't allowed in school unless they are planned guest speakers. It's too disruptive to the learning environment.

As for those without parents or extended family. they may have heard that they could get chosen for adoption, so it's a constant hope, excitement, and letdown: "Oh, darn--they don't want me."

If people want to help children in Cambodia, I think it's a better use of money to contribute a well-researched NGO or charity. Often those living in Cambodia know which are doing good work. I bet many of you currently in Cambodia have some opinions about who's doing great work to support Khmer children.

Don't visit orphanages. Children are too easily exploited by those who profit financially.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:17 am Certain heads of orphanages have been in Cambodia for many long years. I remember routinely running into one back when I was first in the Kingdom of Wonder, and low and behold, she is still there. I believe that there was an interesting technique for putting a disabled young man to sleep at night.
Well, so she claimed at the time. To help him sleep.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic