Don't get involved

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Don't get involved

Post by atst »

The other night while having a beer out the front we heard a bang crash from the road outside our gate sounded like car/bike accident couldn't see as it was dark , I got up to take a look thinking someone needed help my girl grabbed me told me to sit back down ,I didn't but then our neighbour also told me to sit down carry on drinking like nothing happened,wow at this point I'm confused anyway few minutes later a girl yells out so neighbour and girl go look telling me to stay , turns out couple on motorcycle hit our neighbours dog motor and rider's lying on the road in pain
What's up when see hear an accident and don't render assistant for fear of getting involved
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Don't get involved

Post by hanno »

Common reflex all over SE Asia: never stick your head out. Nobody wants to talk to the coppers, nobody wants to help because if the victim croaks, there will be heaps of shit.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

If you are a white foreigner, there is a 100% chance that by the time the issue is resolved, it will have become your fault. I'm not joking.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Unless they are related to you or friends it is not worth getting involved.
I heard a crash and commotion outside years back when I lived by a busy road. This poor old geezer who looked about 70 was pushing his tiny bicycle across the road when a minibus whacked him. He was pinned under the front section. The driver was gone. People were swarming around taking photos but nobody did anything useful. I suggested moving the van back and there was a slight concerted effort to shift the main weight off the old guy, but he was still left there all gnarled up on the ground. I didn't know what to do and was advised not to get involved so I wandered off for a smoke on the bridge. He was still there when I came back but with less people around. He was still there, but alone, a couple of hours later when an ambulance finally came. I heard he died a couple of days later in Russian Hospital. I was a bit shocked by the apathy, but then again the neighborhood wasn't exactly affluent and they couldn't afford to take care of all the multiple accident victims who piled up in that stretch.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:16 pm If you are a white foreigner, there is a 100% chance that by the time the issue is resolved, it will have become your fault. I'm not joking.
That's the impression I got
But wow sitting around carrng on having a beer while someone is injured 20 Meters away in just wierd
Cambodia never ceases to amaze maybe that's why I'm still here
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

Not sure about being blamed for an accident but you could end up footing the hospital bill, which is what happened to me.

Crash outside the house. Two young girls on a moto driver fucked off. Wife said don’t get involved but I’m an former EMT so was duty bound to help, plus one was losing a lot of blood.

So long story short I paid all their medical bills but I knew that before I decided to help. The family offered to pay me back but they had fuck all. The girls still drop by to this day. (But rhey always say I’m getting fatter so I don’t like them coming around anymore!)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phkachhouk wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:50 am Not sure about being blamed for an accident but you could end up footing the hospital bill, which is what happened to me.

Crash outside the house. Two young girls on a moto driver fucked off. Wife said don’t get involved but I’m an former EMT so was duty bound to help, plus one was losing a lot of blood.

So long story short I paid all their medical bills but I knew that before I decided to help. The family offered to pay me back but they had fuck all. The girls still drop by to this day. (But rhey always say I’m getting fatter so I don’t like them coming around anymore!)
Similar background, similar stress at not responding. If it's life or death I'll get involved, if it's clearly death I won't. Like when young adults sit up their friend who's just been hit by a moto and shake them to bring them round, despite the obviously broken neck ... won't get involved, but it goes against all my instincts and training.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:52 pm
phkachhouk wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:50 am Not sure about being blamed for an accident but you could end up footing the hospital bill, which is what happened to me.

Similar background, similar stress at not responding. If it's life or death I'll get involved, if it's clearly death I won't. Like when young adults sit up their friend who's just been hit by a moto and shake them to bring them round, despite the obviously broken neck ... won't get involved, but it goes against all my instincts and training.
I watched the video of the accident involving the king and his wife. They just dragged her out of the car. That probably killed her or at least contributed to her death.

I doubt the bodyguards have any first aid training.
Thenewstoday
Expatriate

Post by Thenewstoday »

I travel with a first aid kit strapped onto the back of my bike always, and I have stopped at least five times to offer aid after an accident.
never had to pay for the hospital bill, also no one ever thought it was my fault.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Thenewstoday wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:57 pm I travel with a first aid kit strapped onto the back of my bike always, and I have stopped at least five times to offer aid after an accident.
never had to pay for the hospital bill, also no one ever thought it was my fault.
You might be tempting fate though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic