Dealing with trolls

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Dealing with trolls

Post by frank lee bent »

You need to report posts you consider to be trolling. Best cut and paste the offending text so that later editing does not destroy the evidence.

Admins and mods do not read each and every thread so offensive posts often go unnoticed.
Trolls love to provoke people to anger and when you respond you are giving them exactly what they want.

Trolls destroy forums so you need to do your part to preserve the forum as an enjoyable place.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Dealing with trolls

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Thanks FLB, hopefully we will all get back on track.

A number of members, and admin, have recently expressed concern about the forum being hijacked to fight political/philosophical wars not connected to Cambodia.

This following suggestions may be an extreme measure, but it could help clean up some of the ideological flack and static.

i/ "The Rest of the World" should not have posts relating to politics, ideology and anything who's aim is simply to cause division. Those posts should be moved to "Asinine"

ii/ "Asinine" posts not to be included in "New Posts" where they have a head start in diverting readers and the forum from it's primary focus - i.e. Cambodia.

Just a thought..
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Agreed, FLB. People should not hesitate to use the REPORT function, as we all get notified and you help us nip any issues in the bud as soon as they arise.

Also, no need to 'copy and paste' the content of the post, as it 'freezes' it in the report as it was when you reported it.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

YOUR ALIVE!!!!!!
PS: I report trapper every time he shows up with a new name :-)

"Asinine" posts not to be included in "New Posts"

Strongly disagree
..where they have a head start in diverting readers and the forum from it's primary focus
?? a forums PRIMARY focus is to entertain its posters, inform people and drive traffic so more an more people sign up to be entertained.

we have Thailand and rest of the world subsection..
AND
General Chatter
This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not.

my 1,000 reils worth
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

YOUR ALIVE!
busy closing insurance claims and a bit of bee keeping work that almost killed me.
saving to buy land in Mondulkiri where the temp range was 22 to 33 today.
Thenewstoday
Expatriate

Post by Thenewstoday »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:27 am
YOUR ALIVE!
busy closing insurance claims and a bit of bee keeping work that almost killed me.
saving to buy land in Mondulkiri where the temp range was 22 to 33 today.
Did you get stung?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Sure, always. That is a given. I tried to keep up with 30 year old workers from Mexico and quickly got heat exhaustion
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:18 am Sure, always. That is a given. I tried to keep up with 30 year old workers from Mexico and quickly got heat exhaustion
They were just trying to get into USA but you should have known better and just applied for a visa.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 am You need to report posts you consider to be trolling. Best cut and paste the offending text so that later editing does not destroy the evidence.

Admins and mods do not read each and every thread so offensive posts often go unnoticed.
Trolls love to provoke people to anger and when you respond you are giving them exactly what they want.

Trolls destroy forums so you need to do your part to preserve the forum as an enjoyable place.
Forum creators should create rules in the forum about what types of comments will not be tolerated if they are different from the obvious. When I create a post in a forum I look at the rules for the forum and will word my post accordingly or else simply not make posts in it. Obvious posts that would be trolling would be those which are abusive, threatening, racist, sexist or are an all-out attack on other people. If a person were to come into a forum posting racist or abusive things about Cambodians that is a problem. If you do not like Cambodian you should probably not be living in Cambodia as Cambodia is full of Cambodians as that is where they were invented and are mass-produced.
When I make posts, I strive to not only state the event but also what led up to the event and my current strategy on how I wish to resolve it. It is my understanding that trolls are people who go online and attempt to get people angry or simply ruin people's enjoyment. I would not understand the attraction to this because it provides me little benefit in life to annoy people I have never met and who I will likely never meet in a virtual forum. It would be similar to trying to figure out why my roommates spend 800usd a month on phonesex. Usually, unless I see posts that fall into the intolerable category above I would just ignore them.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:38 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 am You need to report posts you consider to be trolling. Best cut and paste the offending text so that later editing does not destroy the evidence.

Forum creators should create rules in the forum about what types of comments will not be tolerated if they are different from the obvious. When I create a post in a forum I look at the rules for the forum and will word my post accordingly or else simply not make posts in it. Obvious posts that would be trolling would be those which are abusive, threatening, racist, sexist or are an all-out attack on other people. If a person were to come into a forum posting racist or abusive things about Cambodians that is a problem. If you do not like Cambodian you should probably not be living in Cambodia as Cambodia is full of Cambodians as that is where they were invented and are mass-produced.
When I make posts, I strive to not only state the event but also what led up to the event and my current strategy on how I wish to resolve it. It is my understanding that trolls are people who go online and attempt to get people angry or simply ruin people's enjoyment. I would not understand the attraction to this because it provides me little benefit in life to annoy people I have never met and who I will likely never meet in a virtual forum. It would be similar to trying to figure out why my roommates spend 800usd a month on phonesex. Usually, unless I see posts that fall into the intolerable category above I would just ignore them.
Bumping threads is considered trolling as well, Michael....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic