Greedy Brigadier and Wife Arrested for Taking Bribes on False Pretences

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Greedy Brigadier and Wife Arrested for Taking Bribes on False Pretences

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

ImageImage
Kampong Thom, Cambodia News: A senior national military officer told local media on Saturday night that the Deputy Head of the Inspectorate of the Ministry of Interior, Brigadier General Khuon Sovann, and his wife have been detained and are being questioned at the Ministry of Interior.

The couple are accused of taking bribes from families who attempt to buy their children a good position in the army or the gendarmarie.
A list was found at their home, noting the details of the transactions, including the amount that each family had paid them, and the total amount was close to US$100,000. The average asking price for a police job seems to be around $6500.
However, according to sources in Kampong Thom, the couple were taking the money, but not following through with their job promises. Some people had sold their livestock and property in order to pay the couple, and it seems that there were complaints.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Greedy Brigadier and Wife Arrested for Taking Bribes on False Pretences

Post by Arget »

I guess it is only a crime to solicit bribes and be involved in corrupt activities if you don't deliver .... otherwise business as normal.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

What idiots. At least put it on an encrypted drive or code.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Arget wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:18 am I guess it is only a crime to solicit bribes and be involved in corrupt activities if you don't deliver .... otherwise business as normal.
This, An open secret that getting a job in the Army or police costs serious dough.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

April 25, 2019
Soldier and wife nabbed over job scam
National Military Police on Tuesday arrested a high-ranking soldier and his wife who allegedly cheated several people in Kampong Thom province out of more than $100,000 after promising them non-existent jobs as military or police officers.

Brigadier General Eng Hy, National Military Police spokesman, yesterday identified them as Brigadier General Khuon Sovann, from the Defence Ministry, and his wife Try Nath.

“We arrested them on Tuesday in Phnom Penh and we have sent them to the military court for questioning,” he said.

Brig Gen Hy said the couple was arrested after police received complaints from several villagers in the province’s Baray district.

A Kampong Thom provincial military police officer, who declined to be named, yesterday said that the couple allegedly collected between $1,500 and $6,000 from several villagers in the district, but could not give the number of victims or the total amount collected.

He said that after collecting the money Brig Gen Sovann and Ms Nath did not provide the villagers with the jobs as promised and refused to refund their money, prompting them to file complaints.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50597882/s ... -job-scam/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hey, If the uniform and the gun comes with the deal, I'm up for $6000.
Good investment and great fun I reckon.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:33 pm Hey, If the uniform and the gun comes with the deal, I'm up for $6000.
6K gives you a good spot for shake-downs. Uniform and gun are at your own expense.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

hanno wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:50 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:33 pm Hey, If the uniform and the gun comes with the deal, I'm up for $6000.
6K gives you a good spot for shake-downs. Uniform and gun are at your own expense.
No deal then. I can find my own shakedowns, and i need the uniform and the gun for the fun part.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hanno wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:44 am This, An open secret that getting a job in the Army or police costs serious dough.
Even in government departments.

The examples in the first post are low level jobs in a small town. High level jobs are much more.

I should mention, if people have family connections to someone important, they are given jobs without paying.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic