New airport planned for Mondulkiri

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
PPUG
Expatriate
Cambodia

New airport planned for Mondulkiri

Post by PPUG »

Government unveils airport plans in the Northeast

The project is included in a master plan that aims to establish new tourism products in the Northeast, a region known for its eco-tourism offer, according to the Ministry of Tourism.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50597057/g ... northeast/
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: New airport planned for Mondulkiri

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

A new airport to support eco tourism ?

Charlie
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:02 pm A new airport to support eco tourism ?

Charlie
lol

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are decaying airports all over the country near every provincial capital. They were mostly built in the 1970s, and were still used in the 90s when roads weren't secure. As far as I know there were loads of small aircraft and large helicopters in very poor condition being flown by Russian/ Eastern European pilots. I don't think they were cheap then either. These days the strips are in a mess and they can't fly those taped-together shitboxes anymore. I predict that when they launch this service it will be ridiculously expensive, and so will be underused and then shut down within a few months.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hmmm, it's either to encourage the Chinese tourists to visit the extinct tigers of Mondulkiri ...
newsworthy/tigers-declared-extinct-camb ... gers%20WWF
Or it's for the Australian gold mining company, Emerald Resources...
post293431.html?hilit=mondulkiri%20mining#p293431

Or, there are more hidden riches waiting to be discovered and exploited in Mondulkiri. But the construction of a new airport is certainly not for the present Sen Monorom modest backpacker off the track tourist trade.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I believe many of the old airports will reopen. It is just a matter of when.

If you look at the price of a flight from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, local flights wont be excessively expensive.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:07 pm I believe many of the old airports will reopen. It is just a matter of when.
If you look at the price of a flight from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, local flights wont be excessively expensive.
Lol, sorry explorer, I clicked on karma by mistake, but I am interested to know why you believe this.

:facepalm: The numbers of international tourists visiting Ratanakiri, Mondulkiri, Kratie and Stung Treng have taken a big dive this year. So for sure it's not tourist money that is going to reconstruct the provincial airports, at least in the north-east of Cambodia, and there are still not enough passengers to make money on regular flights even in high season. Forget the low season.

Sen Monorom airstrip is now situated in the middle of the town's main street, Banlung is the same, airstrip is right in the town centre, and Kratie has a new university built on the old airstrip. All these provincial airports would have to be rebuilt from scratch. However, I think the provinces will open up eventually if and when the Chinese or others are willing to build new airstrips for economic reasons. IMO, if it happens at all, the new airports will be developed for Chinese charter flights for Chinese passengers.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

It is all very well to plan an airport, but there needs to be a demand from potential passengers. For the moment, Mondulkiri is very underdeveloped as a tourist destination. Ratanakkiri has been mentioned as a possible alternative for a new airport site, but is only slightly more developed.
There is a lot of work to be done on improving local infrastructure and possible tourist attractions in both regions, as the Cambodia Association of Travel Agents president points out here.

New airport study set for 2019
By Phnom Penh Post - April 24, 2019
Mondulkiri province is a tourism destination and should have an airport, which presents huge potential.”

After the feasibility study is concluded at the end of this year, opportunities will be generated for investment in the project, Chumno [spokesman for the Ministry of Tourism] added.

Cambodia Association of Travel Agents president Chhay Sivlin welcomed the study.

However, she said the Ministry of Tourism should focus on other tourism facilities in the meantime to boost the tourism sector.

“The government should focus on … shortages of hotels, restaurants and lack of entertainment infrastructure while they are studying the airport plan. If we acquire an airport while tourism facilities continue to be lacking, then it will be useless to have the airport,” she said.
In full: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... y-set-2019
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:07 pm I believe many of the old airports will reopen. It is just a matter of when.

They will. The only thing that brings prices down is competition, and there's not enough demand for that.

When Bangkok Airways used to be the only one flying into Siem Reap prices were ridiculous, the same for flight to Phnom Penh when Thai and Bangkok Airways held their duopoly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:01 pm
Lol, sorry explorer, I clicked on karma by mistake, but I am interested to know why you believe this.

:facepalm: The numbers of international tourists visiting Ratanakiri, Mondulkiri, Kratie and Stung Treng have taken a big dive this year. So for sure it's not tourist money that is going to reconstruct the provincial airports, at least in the north-east of Cambodia, and there are still not enough passengers to make money on regular flights even in high season. Forget the low season.

Sen Monorom airstrip is now situated in the middle of the town's main street, Banlung is the same, airstrip is right in the town centre, and Kratie has a new university built on the old airstrip. All these provincial airports would have to be rebuilt from scratch. However, I think the provinces will open up eventually if and when the Chinese or others are willing to build new airstrips for economic reasons. IMO, if it happens at all, the new airports will be developed for Chinese charter flights for Chinese passengers.
All the above is true. Addition: The Ban Lung Airstrip is still in use but only for helicopters, it has been sold to Canadia Bank. It's in a deplorable condition as well. A new airport is planned in Oh Choum district but it's not going to happen anytime soon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic