Kampot's power to the Intl. Village

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Kampot's power to the Intl. Village

Post by offroadscholar »

kgbagent wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:00 pm
phkachhouk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:39 am It was called international village at least 10 years ago as I looked at some flooded shitty land there.

It’s still shitty just has a few nice houses there now. The road in wet season it terrible and impassable.
They say it’ll get concreted every year but it never does because who’ll pay for it?
Lots of nice houses out there now and many more being built atm - also going to be a glut of bungalows that will be cheap due to oversupply

At the official Sangkat becoming part of Kampot City ceremony the concrete road was apparently promised by the city official
Wrt any proposed concrete road, would it be wide enough to allow two Suv's to pass each other in opposite directions ?
IIRC, the fenced properties either side would only allow a one way width road, unless adjacent properties give up some land ?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

offroadscholar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Wrt any proposed concrete road, would it be wide enough to allow two Suv's to pass each other in opposite directions ?
IIRC, the fenced properties either side would only allow a one way width road, unless adjacent properties give up some land ?
It is listed as a 12m road and a few idiots have built or fenced onto the actual road which will be a problem for them - so yes there is room for a two way road
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

The current width of a side road is no less than 8 meters wide, allowing traffic in both directions. The planned road next to the railroad tracks is 30 meters for the road and another 30 meter for a green zone next to the tracks in case of an emergency/accident etc. This is for both sides of the tracks, a total of 120 meters.

Many foreigners and locals alike simply built at the edge of their own property without taking the road restrictions into account. When it comes to road building day the gov. simply will have bulldozed the extra part needed for the road. When your property sits next to the river or ocean it used to be 100 meter from the high tide point before you could build any fixed structure. I saw lots of bulldozed properties in sihanoukville years ago.

Unfortunately some real estate agents still advertise and sell properties right next to the railroad tracks.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

What planned road next to the tracks?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

kaputt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:43 pm The current width of a side road is no less than 8 meters wide, allowing traffic in both directions. The planned road next to the railroad tracks is 30 meters for the road and another 30 meter for a green zone next to the tracks in case of an emergency/accident etc. This is for both sides of the tracks, a total of 120 meters.

Many foreigners and locals alike simply built at the edge of their own property without taking the road restrictions into account. When it comes to road building day the gov. simply will have bulldozed the extra part needed for the road. When your property sits next to the river or ocean it used to be 100 meter from the high tide point before you could build any fixed structure. I saw lots of bulldozed properties in sihanoukville years ago.

Unfortunately some real estate agents still advertise and sell properties right next to the railroad tracks.
Correct .... my road, which is designated as an 8m road, is sparsly populated and ends just past the house before turning into moto track/cow path. Way beyond is a modest mango farm but when you look at the official plan there is allocation for an 8m road down to the farm. I built a fence 4.5m from the centre of the road just to be safe. That mango farm has been put up for house development along with all the land back to the Wat road and they have built an illegal road for access 4m from the rail tracks.

On the image you can get a quick idea of the size of development and that is just the big ones - lots and lots of small parcels as well

kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

phkachhouk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:39 pm What planned road next to the tracks?
Supposedly the new bypass road skirting Kampot city and coming round near the new container port
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

kgbagent wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:28 pm
phkachhouk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:39 pm What planned road next to the tracks?
Supposedly the new bypass road skirting Kampot city and coming round near the new container port
Oh ok.
I guess they’ll be some pissed off people over the next few years.

Is there any place you can access official maps and plans of zones etc?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

phkachhouk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm
Oh ok.

This is the old one - a new one is due to be released I hear

hmmmm . how to add a pdf???
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

kgbagent wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:04 pm
Oh ok.

Is the pdf of just that area or the whole town?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

phkachhouk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:26 pm
kgbagent wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:04 pm
Oh ok.

Is the pdf of just that area or the whole town?

Whole town --- try this google drive link

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic