Is Cambodia a country full of Expat:-

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Is Cambodia a country full of Expat:-

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 am OP’s original question is was do Khmer think of expats. ie, what stereotypes of the typical expat does the typical Khmer have.

Let’s turn the question around.

Are there any stereotypes of tuk tuk drivers that expats have?

Or should a typical foreigner approach a Khmer driving a tuk tuk with the same assumptions one makes of a New York Cabbie? That the driver is a foreigner himself with a high level education just arrived in America struggling to make a future. That he will have a thorough knowledge of the streets and won’t ever dream of overcharging.

Just my opinion. As always everyone is always welcome to express their opinions on this forum.
Hey NKB. Just few musings on fear and preconceptions. Tuk tuk drivers make a good example.

Many expats have strong fears and preconceptions about tuk tuk drivers. Often based on actual experiences. Fair enough, you say. Be very wary!!

But there is another way of going about it.
In every biz transaction in cambodia - I know if I have not done my homework, I will pay too much.
If I fail to negotiate clearly and well, I will have problems.
MY responsibility - to know how things work in this country and to do it well.

I'll say it again. No#1, it is MY responsibility not to get ripped off.

Knowing that, I can approach the tuk tuk driver with no fear and preconception that he is going to cheat me.
So now I can relate to him as a fellow battler, just workin' the mean streets trying to get by.
Two men in the same boat. Trying to make life easy, trying to find a laugh.

Then.. all the wonderful benefits of being in with the tuk tuk tribe start to become available.
If i was ruled by fear and suspicion that wouldn't happen. I would just get endless repeats of bad experiences.

If you can stand confident in your own situation, if you take the fear and stereotyping out, if you look for bit of humour or common ground - then you can start relating man o' man.

Sorry for the homily, next time i'll just step in with a few quick bang-bang bare knuckles, in true tuk tuk tribe stye.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

^what are all these wonderful benefits of being in with the tuk tuk tribe that you speak of?
As an average reader, I can't think of many (that aren't also available by being on civil terms with one)

And quite the closing sequence with your threat of violence
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

The Whisperer wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:11 pm Druggies, Alcoholics, Suicidal people, Mental Retards, Kiddie Fiddlers, other Pervs and deviants etc.
It seems like everyday we here reports in the media about expats as mentioned above.

Actually, I just wonder what the Khmer people really think about us expats.

Sometimes I feel embarrassed/ashamed-do you?
No difference to my experience as a local in Australia (except the druggies etc were also locals, not expats - thus the major difference might be that they're in the news because of deportation rather than being an actual scourge), and possibly no different to the way Khmers see each other. In general, I think the Khmer are very accepting of us, and respectful.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

violet wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:25 am ^what are all these wonderful benefits of being in with the tuk tuk tribe that you speak of?
As an average reader, I can't think of many (that aren't also available by being on civil terms with one)

The benefits are that I have some wonderful friends.
That they have provided me a lot of invaluable assistance, information and humanity.
That when I need arise i get a person not an app.

That was a joke violet - sorry you took it as, what? A threat of violence.
Jesus fucking christ,
see you all next year everybody - this place is nuts.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:38 pm
violet wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:25 am ^what are all these wonderful benefits of being in with the tuk tuk tribe that you speak of?

The benefits are that I have some wonderful friends.
That they have provided me a lot of invaluable assistance, information and humanity.
That when I need arise i get a person not an app.

That was a joke violet - sorry you took it as, what? A threat of violence.
Jesus fucking christ,
see you all next year everybody - this place is nuts.
Calm the phuc down. What an overreaction to someone taking what you write as more serious than a joke. Or was your overreaction also a joke?

If not...really?!you write off the entire forum because I took you seriously (not that I care much)?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic