Living In Kampot

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Living In Kampot

Post by phuketrichard »

les.kaye wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:06 pm
Kampoochie wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:01 pm If you're looking for more peace and quiet 30 minutes further east, check out Kep.
Yep will stop by & have a look at Kep too - thanks
From SNV Kep is 30 minutes past Kampot,
Laid back to the point most people cant handle it as most tourists need entertainment, which Kep lacks ( thank god :-) ) :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
KOW happiness
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by KOW happiness »

Although I'd agree that SHV town is a construction site now which is best avoided, as some others have suggested, much of Otres beach is still very nice for a stay especially if it's only for a few days. There has been development in Otres 1 & 2 (beach areas) and one of the two main streets in the village, I think the coastal part of Otres is still great to visit and Souk Boulevard still has plenty of Western run restaurants / guest houses and bar establishments which are still running and nice to go to.

The last border run I did to Ha Tien via Kampot from Sihanoukville took about 2 hours from SHV to Kampot and the road isn't that bad really, but the traffic can be heavy getting in and out of the city during rush hours and you can purchase a one-way ticket for $5 in a minibus, unless that's increased in the last 6 months.

Enjoy your stay and have a look at the most recent Trip Advisor reviews if you are concerned about the change of ownership. I had a nice dinner at Secret Garden a couple of months ago and the meal was nice and was popular, however I've found better food for better value at other places around Otres. The White Boutique Hotel does good food in a nice setting, a bit more upmarket but not exorbitant for the food quality and service.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The best things about Kampot are the scenery, the vast variety of foods at rock bottom prices and the weed.

The worst thing about Kampot is that its such a small and incestuous little expatriate community there that everyone seems to know everybody's business.

But my kids love their school, I stick to being a regular in just a few places and work well outside town, so I get out of the little bubble effect that's going on there.
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

KOW happiness wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 pm Although I'd agree that SHV town is a construction site now which is best avoided, as some others have suggested, much of Otres beach is still very nice for a stay especially if it's only for a few days. There has been development in Otres 1 & 2 (beach areas) and one of the two main streets in the village, I think the coastal part of Otres is still great to visit and Souk Boulevard still has plenty of Western run restaurants / guest houses and bar establishments which are still running and nice to go to.

The last border run I did to Ha Tien via Kampot from Sihanoukville took about 2 hours from SHV to Kampot and the road isn't that bad really, but the traffic can be heavy getting in and out of the city during rush hours and you can purchase a one-way ticket for $5 in a minibus, unless that's increased in the last 6 months.

Enjoy your stay and have a look at the most recent Trip Advisor reviews if you are concerned about the change of ownership. I had a nice dinner at Secret Garden a couple of months ago and the meal was nice and was popular, however I've found better food for better value at other places around Otres. The White Boutique Hotel does good food in a nice setting, a bit more upmarket but not exorbitant for the food quality and service.

[/qThanks for the more positive post :) .......will try the White Boutique Hotel too - sounds good!
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:43 pm The best things about Kampot are the scenery, the vast variety of foods at rock bottom prices and the weed.

The worst thing about Kampot is that its such a small and incestuous little expatriate community there that everyone seems to know everybody's business.

But my kids love their school, I stick to being a regular in just a few places and work well outside town, so I get out of the little bubble effect that's going on there.
After living in a smaller town in Australia - I would imagine that it is no different to living in any small town in the world :)
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

The previous post about Secret garden and food prices is right. They really have their heads up their asses when it comes to pricing. Having seen their adverts for specials over the years I am unimpressed. Pretentious menus with western prices. That said there are several other more reasonable options nearby. Hope you enjoy it.

Johnny
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

Thanks Johnny .... appreciate your input!!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

les.kaye wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 pm Thanks for your help - unfortunately - we had already booked & paid for this trip before we realised how bad it was supposed to now be - although our accom (the Secret Garden) still has amazing reviews so it can't be too bad for 3 nights right!
Beachfront & cocktails for 3 days - I can put up with that! :D
Recent vlog post shows Otres beach in March 2019:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Must be about time HE took a walk along Chinaville beach again to check out the improvements since he was there last time.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

SIhanoukville. I’ll visit in about five years until then I’ll just watch from afar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic