Regestrating secondhand moto

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Regestrating secondhand moto

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:54 am
explorer wrote:Many Cambodians believe it is OK to scam foreigners, to the point where it gets written into the law.
Taiwanese are not legally allowed to marry Khmer citizens, either. And so?

It’s their country. Convince enough locals to petition Iron Man to change the law. Or an Oknha that it is in their interest to change the law.
They are short sighted. They dont want to change the law. They believe it is in their interest to scam people.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

This really isn't a dig at the OP, I just can't hold back from saying

Registering
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

epidemiks wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 pm
phkachhouk wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 pm
phkachhouk wrote:I don’t think cars are possible either.
It is not only possible, its required by law.
Law? In Cambodia?
So I must be imagining all these un plated cars and motos (new and old) driving around.

My neighbor has had a Lexus 400 with no plates for two years. Been stopped just paid a fine and once it was confiscated but he just paid a bigger fine. He said it’s still cheaper than paying tax on it!
Yes, the law that caused your idiot neighbour's unplated car to be confiscated and fined.

Anyway, foreigners can register used cars in their name.
Yes he is an idiot but then he works at the ministry so...I’ll pass your comments on to him anyway.

I’m quite certain foreigners can’t register used cars in their name since last year. I know this because I tried and they said no can do anymore.
New or fresh import yes but not ones already registered.
It seems silly only stopping us registering moto but cars are ok? That’s stupid even for KOW.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:54 am
explorer wrote:Many Cambodians believe it is OK to scam foreigners, to the point where it gets written into the law.
Taiwanese are not legally allowed to marry Khmer citizens, either. And so?

It’s their country. Convince enough locals to petition Iron Man to change the law. Or an Oknha that it is in their interest to change the law.
Explorer,
what Fucking BS< I've never met a Khmer in over 30 years of visiting the country that thought it was ok to scam farangs.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:44 am I've never met a Khmer in over 30 years of visiting the country that thought it was ok to scam farangs.
Here is just one example. Read the comments.

topic28327.html
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

explorer wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:32 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:44 am I've never met a Khmer in over 30 years of visiting the country that thought it was ok to scam farangs.

topic28327.html
:facepalm: :please:
WTF does Khmer on khmer have to do with scamming Farangs?
or more important, registering a moto???
:please:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:32 am

topic28327.html
So Richard never met any of those tuk tuk drivers....

And never had to deal with the government.

But you overlook the fact those two don't specifically prey on foreigners, the Cambodians get their fair share of the scamming as well.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:30 am if you get to know them but a lot of them are overcharging twats.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:51 am the business model was flawed from the start: sit around and do nothing for 20 hours per day, and then try to gouge people for short trips around town. As usual with Cambodia, you quickly get all the copycats so it didn't take long for every corner to have ten guys, thus making it 22-23 hours of doing nothing, then trying to compensate by asking for a higher price because they didn't have any customers that day...
LIVIDZX wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:11 am I have about 5-6 tuk tuks outside my apartment none of whom feel like going via meter and cost double what I pay via pass app - not to mention having to negotiate a price for five minutes before we set off. So I always go via pass app now.

The days of attempting to charge foreigners obscene amounts are over, they just need to deal with it.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:45 pm
T120 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:22 pm Has anyone registered their secondhand moto (Cambodian plate) in the last year in PP? Am getting mixed reports, some saying its not possible for Barang if your bike has already been registered.
This is a scam written into the law. What happens in most cases. A foreign man buys a motorbike and puts it into his girlfriends name. It legally belongs to her from the beginning. At any time in the future she can do what she likes with it.

Another scam written into the law is foreigners are not allowed to hire motorbikes in Siem Reap. Most are forced to pay the tuk tuk mafia.

Many Cambodians believe it is OK to scam foreigners, to the point where it gets written into the law.
I think you're drawing a long bow here.

Many barang I know who've bought a 2nd hand moto have just kept the rego card from the original owner. I'm not sure/doubt many would bother to transfer it to their girlfriend's name (have you got stats on that? :wink: ) .. and is there much advantage in doing that anyway? Either way, it's still not in the barang's name.

How is it a scam anyway? If barangs don't transfer the registration that means less $$$ for the authorities..

I agree some khmer scam barangs (even if they know it's not OK :mrgreen: ) yet I don't see how that's overtly written into the law, more likely it's just lazy administration of the laws imo.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

look there is something in se asia called Corruption
its not scamming per say like the Philippinoes on riverside, or three card monte
its part of life in se Asia
called Baksheesh, sharing the wealth, greasing the wheels etc

guess we all have different definitions of scamming

:facepalm:
Another scam written into the law is foreigners are not allowed to hire motorbikes in Siem Reap
LOL, thats not a scam, they dont want tourist farangs riding around Angkor on rental bikes, ( FYI same as Bagan in Myanmar) its law
If its ur bike and u have a license u can ride around Angkor

Is it a scam in China, Burma that you cant ride your own bike or drive your own car into their countries without a guide and permits?

you really read into laws to much and think their all out to get you.

perhaps u would be better off back where you came from where they NEVER scam you and there is no corruption.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic