Kampot Water Splashing Causes Barang Motocycle Accident

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Kampot Water Splashing Causes Barang Motocycle Accident

Post by phkachhouk »

ofparadise wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 pm Image
That’s not really going to help plus it’ll hurt more when you fall off.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

phkachhouk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:22 am
That’s not really going to help plus it’ll hurt more when you fall off.
Shit I like it. Stay tucked in the seat and if it ends up on it's sides you may have a skinned knee. But I think the top part of the windshield would zap me like an ant and a magnifier :eek:
Still here, in country...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Those motorbikes are going to be expensive to repair when the rider does come off.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I dont know where I will be next year. But if I am in the same place, I will wear a helmet with a visor, just because so many people go for the eyes. I ride a bicycle.

While we can do a little to protect ourselves, it does not take away from the fact that many people are doing stupid things.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

explorer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:44 pm I dont know where I will be next year. But if I am in the same place, I will wear a helmet with a visor, just because so many people go for the eyes. I ride a bicycle.

While we can do a little to protect ourselves, it does not take away from the fact that many people are doing stupid things.
So you’ll be ok on a bicycle?
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

hanno wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:07 pm
talltuktuk wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:20 pm SR was an absolute shitshow this KNY.

Out of all of the chaos, the thing that pissed me off the most were the numerous Barang participating and acting recklessly. The local culture may not fully understand the implications of blasting someone riding a motorbike in the eyes with a high powered water gun. But someone from a fully-developed and advanced country absolutely should. Granted, you should be wearing face/eye protection while riding, but this makes no difference when 6 people are aiming for your face at the same time and blinding you with water. I witnessed several Barang intentionally aiming for and shooting people in the eyes and face with water guns - I was even hit myself by a white woman who laughed at me as she did it. Eye protection or not, these water guns are powerful and can cause real damage to people. By all means have a good time, but FFS have some goddam common sense.
Indeed, some of the biggest cnuts were the . foreigners. Got into an argument last year with some foreigners who accused me of not understanding "Khmer culture". This from some soy-latte-sipping, beg-packing, hipster-wannabes, orphanage volunteers who looked like they had been in country for about three days :facepalm: .
"soy-latte-sipping, beg-packing, hipster-wannabes, orphanage volunteers " I like that one!!!
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

explorer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:11 am Here is another one showing how they create traffic jams. In one area this type of situation continued for about five kilometers, and people took a long time to get anywhere. There was a line up of maybe 200 vehicles, all going very slow.

So what, U know this'll happen, don't drive there that day!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

alexvanlaar wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:49 pm So what, U know this'll happen, don't drive there that day!
I ride a bicycle. With a bicycle you can go around cars, and get there a lot quicker in a traffic jam. I passed a lot of cars going home that afternoon.

If I do go there next year, I will probably start out earlier than most of them start throwing water, so getting there should be fairly easy. I may even go home after dark, after most of them have finished. I know some wont stop at dark, but a lot will. I mentioned earlier, I will probably wear a helmet with a visor, as too many people go for the eyes.

There is even one place where I take an alternate road, avoiding this for that section.

I encourage anyone who has not seen the new year celebrations to go and see them.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

Avoid being splashed with water and flour so instead drive at night.

Yes. Much safer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic