OLIVE & OLIVE

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: OLIVE & OLIVE

Post by newkidontheblock »

Olive and Olive. On list of foreign places to eat in the KOW. Lamb shank delicious. Check.

Rozzieoz - is it worth the value to someone who either cooks, eats Khmer local on a daily basis and/or Pizza Company?

Just judging how guilty I’ll feel eating there.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Olive Olive Phnom Penh

Post by Pizzalover »

Olive Olive
101 Preah Sisowath Quay | Located at Riverside Corner of Street 104, Next Street to Night Market, Phnom Penh 12000, Cambodia +855 96 444 1919
9:00 AM - 11:30 PM
https://oliveolive24.com/
I pulled the info above from the internet so I hope to be in line with requirements. Did not take any photos as I went for the food and not for facebook.

When I left SHV for PP there were only two things I regretted leaving behind, the beach and Olive Olive. Fast forward, more than a year later the situation has changed as the restaurant has now a branch on the Riverside in a building that apparently had once been intended for a hooters outlet. Well, it came better.

I went twice and was more than surprised at the nice lay-out of the place. Down to earth and no-nonsense with a focus on the food as I believe it should be. Big question was of course how is the food? I had the lamb shank and it was very good. It came with a generous load of potatoes and veggies plus a serving of rice which worked well for me. I am not a big fan of olives but this dish was excellent. Exactly the right dose of olives not to overkill the dish and just right to add a kick. Best thing was I left with a happy tummy, well filled but not feeling like carrying stones in my body.

On the next visit I had the Lasagna. Usually I avoid it outside Italy as many people tend to believe it is a baked cheese pie. The lasagna at Olive Olive was very good. Not greasy, noodles were home-made and had a consistency I like, not too soft and not too hard. Just right. The portion was good for someone like me who likes eating when it is good.

Corey, the owner, told me that the pizza promotion is back. I think starting at 5 USD for a Magherita. The pizze I had in SHV at Olive Olive were excellent. So that’s on the to do list.
The free starter of some mezze was good as well and I liked the olive oil. Much to my surprise the oil is also on sale. It is very good olive and very reasonably priced. 4-5 years ago, I had bought once the same brand in Turkey but it is difficult to find. It is actually better than the stuff I brought from Europe this time and also cheaper. From now I will stock up at Olive Olive. Corey imports the oil directly from the producer on the Aegean. The oil in PP supermarkets is hardly fit for human consumption or just totally overpriced. They sell also wine imported directly from the producer. Might be interesting for a wine lover. I am not so can’t comment but people seem to like the selection.

Being an old customer from SHV, Corey showed me the spotless kitchen and on the second visit the Italian chef was also there.

Ratings are always very subjective. I admit that I am partial but my stomach is not. I like the clean place, down to earth set-up, the food and the friendly attitude. Prices are reasonable or good. Still can’t believe that I got that olive oil in my kitchen. So check it out. I like a place where I can order without thinking too much what to order as I know it is good.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: Olive Olive Phnom Penh

Post by markd »

does the italian chef make galleano babbas or galleano tiramasu for deserts & home made vino to wash it all down
thru shit to more shit
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

i was well filled and had no interest in add ons. Tiramisu is on the menu. I think the easiest way to find out is to make a call or drop by. To be honest, better drop by. I m partial, I like the place. A main criteria is the oil in the food. I am sick of tired of saturated cheap oil/fats and I think that I can even taste the stuff. The olive oil some places use makes me run away.

After more than 3 years in Italy and many visits there I am somewhat handicapped as I m very hesitant to go to an Italian place somewhere else. Olive Olive is one of the few places I go to without hesitation. The lamb shank was something like soul food and the lasagne was simply just good. Only problem was I was full and not able to go for a second round.

But then again we all have probably different preferences. All I m saying is that there is very good chance that you will like as well. Try it first for yourself and then decide if it a place you might like to take a lady to (in case you're single). For families the place should work.

When I was there I saw some well established Khmer families, one with a Porsche SUV, and a number of expats. These people have definitely choices and they picked the place. Still, it is very good value. The pizza promo is a no-brainer and beats any competition (wood oven of course).

I forgot to mention that the restroom was clean.

so enough promoting for today. :)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

markd wrote:does the italian chef make galleano babbas or galleano tiramasu for deserts & home made vino to wash it all down
The tiramisu is out of this world delicious.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What's the price range of the place? Might try it out next week.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

The parking lot in front of pizza factory is also full of SUVs. Porsche, RR etc.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:What's the price range of the place? Might try it out next week.
It’s actually very reasonable. Steak around $14, lamb shank $14.
Pasta around $7 - $8.

Everyone gets a free starter though.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Opening in Siem Reap soon!
Corey
Tourist
United States of America

Re: OLIVE & OLIVE

Post by Corey »

PIEMAN wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 pm Olive Olive of snooky is coming to Phnom Penh,its took the premises on the corner of 104 and riverside which was going to be Hooters,before they puled out,the rent is extortianent so good luck to them. :beer1:
Thank you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic