Barangs using Waterguns

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Barangs using Waterguns

Post by talltuktuk »

I have to say this because I’m still pissed about it. I said a lot of this in another thread but I’m saying it again. If you didn’t participate then this admonition doesn’t apply to you.

Over the 3 days of KNY in SR I witnessed a large number of White people (presumably Westerners) participating in the festivities with water guns. I witnessed alot of people (of all races present) intentionally aiming for and shooting people in the face with the waterguns. A lot of these people getting shot at were riding motorbikes. Others were walking and getting shot at nearly point blank range. It goes without saying that this is incredibly dangerous and stupid. The government realized this and banned it last year for safety reasons. There did not appear to be a ban this year and people went right back to the same asinine behavior.

The local culture may not fully understand or appreciate the implications of blasting someone (riding a motorbike or otherwise) in the eyes with a high powered water gun. But someone from a fully-developed and advanced country absolutely should. Granted, riders should be wearing face/eye protection while riding, but this makes no difference when 6 people are aiming for your face at the same time and blinding you with water. I witnessed several Barang intentionally aiming for and shooting people in the eyes and face with water guns - I was even hit myself by a white woman who laughed at me as she did it. Eye protection or not, these water guns are powerful and can cause real damage to people. Aside from the physical damage inflicted by a high powered stream of water, many people are using dirty water which is now getting forced into the eyes, nose, ears, and mouth of those getting hit. This is supposed to be a Khmer celebration (of which you are a GUEST), not a free-for-all to be an aggressive asshole to the people who live here.

I’ve often observed many Barangs (ex-pats or otherwise) behaving inappropriately because 1-everyone else is doing it, 2-they don’t respect the local people and culture (as shown by their behavior), or 3-they are a white person with money and privilege and the rules don’t apply to them. As an American expat, this embarrasses and angers me to no end. You do not get to come to this (or any other) country and do whatever you want. There are cultural and common sense rules and norms here that you should be observing and respecting even if other people aren’t. As someone from a developed nation, your should be bringing, utilizing, and sharing the advances we’ve made that helped us develop, not leaving them at the airport because you’re going to the great playground of Southeast Asia.

Rant over, flame away.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Barangs using Waterguns

Post by Freightdog »

Retards*; they walk amongst us. A good cross-section of the population too, of all manner of intellect and background. Proving that intelligence alone doesn’t imply common sense.

*that’s probably going to have fingers twitching within reach of the keyboard
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

talltuktuk wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:32 pm I have to say this because I’m still pissed about it. I said a lot of this in another thread but I’m saying it again. If you didn’t participate then this admonition doesn’t apply to you.

Over the 3 days of KNY in SR I witnessed a large number of White people (presumably Westerners) participating in the festivities with water guns. I witnessed alot of people (of all races present) intentionally aiming for and shooting people in the face with the waterguns. A lot of these people getting shot at were riding motorbikes. Others were walking and getting shot at nearly point blank range. It goes without saying that this is incredibly dangerous and stupid. The government realized this and banned it last year for safety reasons. There did not appear to be a ban this year and people went right back to the same asinine behavior.

The local culture may not fully understand or appreciate the implications of blasting someone (riding a motorbike or otherwise) in the eyes with a high powered water gun. But someone from a fully-developed and advanced country absolutely should. Granted, riders should be wearing face/eye protection while riding, but this makes no difference when 6 people are aiming for your face at the same time and blinding you with water. I witnessed several Barang intentionally aiming for and shooting people in the eyes and face with water guns - I was even hit myself by a white woman who laughed at me as she did it. Eye protection or not, these water guns are powerful and can cause real damage to people. Aside from the physical damage inflicted by a high powered stream of water, many people are using dirty water which is now getting forced into the eyes, nose, ears, and mouth of those getting hit. This is supposed to be a Khmer celebration (of which you are a GUEST), not a free-for-all to be an aggressive asshole to the people who live here.

I’ve often observed many Barangs (ex-pats or otherwise) behaving inappropriately because 1-everyone else is doing it, 2-they don’t respect the local people and culture (as shown by their behavior), or 3-they are a white person with money and privilege and the rules don’t apply to them. As an American expat, this embarrasses and angers me to no end. You do not get to come to this (or any other) country and do whatever you want. There are cultural and common sense rules and norms here that you should be observing and respecting even if other people aren’t. As someone from a developed nation, your should be bringing, utilizing, and sharing the advances we’ve made that helped us develop, not leaving them at the airport because you’re going to the great playground of Southeast Asia.

Rant over, flame away.
I agree. We should be setting a good example for them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CBEQ »

Yeah, I was in Siam Reap and Kratie during the KNY. In Siam Reap, I remember this wasted white girl with a pot of water that what just annihilating anyone that walked/drove by. On the other hand, there was one guy that sort of asked permission if he could shoot the water gun at us or not. We were walking and were not driving, so I did not mind. I feel like everyone's first Khmer New Year, they get sort of carried away. This is my third KNY, so the fun as sort of worn off.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you see any English speaking foreigners doing anything dangerous, tell them.

If I am in a similar situation next year, I may even talk to the worst behaved Cambodians. See how it goes.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
exoterre
Expatriate
Greenland

Post by exoterre »

talltuktuk wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:32 pm I have to say this because I’m still pissed about it. I said a lot of this in another thread but I’m saying it again. If you didn’t participate then this admonition doesn’t apply to you.

Rant over, flame away.
As someone from a developed nationImage
bienheureux le simple d esprit car il et misericordieux
exoterre
Expatriate
Greenland

Post by exoterre »

Rant over, flame away.
bienheureux le simple d esprit car il et misericordieux
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

We were also in SR for the holidays. I just appreciated the 3 days worth of free car washes everywhere we went. The car will never be as clean as KNY2019.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

[

I agree. We should be setting a good example for them.
[/quote]

Congratulations, I think you win the award for most sanctimonious comment of the day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic