How much would it cost?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How much would it cost?

Post by beaker »

Here is a quick video of a house built for $3,050. with the interlocking bricks it was a competition for speed but gives an idea of how they work.

Here is another competition with a 2 experienced brick layers working together against an unskilled 9 yo and a 46 yo woman who where working alone

The interlocking bricks go up much faster look much better, no need for concrete exterior cover layer, and are stronger and better insulated. They also come in several colors and can also have different designs like flowers or elephants etc for accents/strips
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm Here is a quick video of a house built for $3,050. with the interlocking bricks it was a competition for speed but gives an idea of how they work.

The interlocking bricks go up much faster look much better, no need for concrete exterior cover layer, and are stronger and better insulated. They also come in several colors and can also have different designs like flowers or elephants etc for accents/strips
This is an interesting idea. Anyone with a good idea to build something cheaper can make a lot of money.

Maybe not available in Cambodia, unless you are a brick manufacturer.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:17 pm
beaker wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm Here is a quick video of a house built for $3,050. with the interlocking bricks it was a competition for speed but gives an idea of how they work.

This is an interesting idea. Anyone with a good idea to build something cheaper can make a lot of money.

Compressed earth blocks are not hard to make. Someone could easily buy a machine, and make a bunch more (at profit) and then sell the machine and still be ahead from the costs to buy the blocks.

But, I honestly don't see the benefit. Time/labour isn't worth much. A good mason/bricklayer can lay them down pretty quickly. The traditional method of pouring the structural components as columns and girders with rebar, and filling in the voids with bricks cannot be made cheaper by using this method is my guess.

Also, this doesnt change the final product much. The best ideas on this thread seem to be related to design issues of air flow, shade, and avoiding trapped heat energy, in voids (attics) and also in thermal mass.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Compressed earth blocks are not hard to make. Someone could easily buy a machine, and make a bunch more (at profit) and then sell the machine and still be ahead from the costs to buy the blocks.

But, I honestly don't see the benefit. Time/labour isn't worth much. A good mason/bricklayer can lay them down pretty quickly. The traditional method of pouring the structural components as columns and girders with rebar, and filling in the voids with bricks cannot be made cheaper by using this method is my guess.

Also, this doesnt change the final product much. The best ideas on this thread seem to be related to design issues of air flow, shade, and avoiding trapped heat energy, in voids (attics) and also in thermal mass.
It is the kind of thing you would want to experiment with to get a clearer picture if it is really worthwhile.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Here is another competition with a 2 experienced brick layers working together against an unskilled 9 yo and a 46 yo woman who where working alone

Cost please in Cambodia vs real bricks and where are they sold?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:29 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 pm

It is the kind of thing you would want to experiment with to get a clearer picture if it is really worthwhile.
"The buildings build themselves, its managing the people that is the problem" This is the builders and Project Managers dilemma.

With that in mind, I propose that in the KOW, trying to do anything different is only making things harder. That is my fear.

While I am a very experienced western builder, I know nothing about how to manage a building project in KOW, and neither how to manage workers, and have no concept of the legal contract framework or language use which is definitely a barrier.

For this build, I would prefer to see something I find suitable and point at it and say, can you build me that one over here?

Without over complicating the process of design and contract, I would then commence the project and make some adjustments and QC along the way.

Once the dust has settled, I could renovate and further refine and finish as desired. Keeping in mind that to me, this one is a practice project and therefore the real product is what I can learn from it.

I am confident that the elements of good design I can apply to the building in function and design would benefit me enough on the resale without having to get radically different on the basics of it.

Lets call this one a trial run. If it works out well, I would consider doing more; for myself and/or others.

I do have a really excellent tiny house idea though that; while not on wheels, could still be movable. I think there is a good market for something like this, because you could get long term land leases, and place these there. Expats could buy the 'pod' or structure and move it to leased land.

I can share more info on that if anyone wants to see more on it.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I wonder if anyone has tried ICF in Cambodia.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I dont know how legit this is, but if you scroll through these photos you get styles and prices of houses. (If it works)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:34 am A couple of photos of the finished product . Sadly the [ brother in law ] father of the 4 kids passed away about a year ago, so it was worth doing knowing that the kids have a roof over their heads. They sell a few things in the '' shop '' at the front.
Sorry for the loss of your brother in law, Duncan, as you say it's great the kids have a roof over their heads. Well done. The shop front has gone on since your last photos (from memory) so NOW it looks more like a Khmer building! I actually quite liked the cottage look it had going on as you were hitting lockup.
Old8404 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:55 am Note about electricity; If you want to have A/C and refrigerator be sure ample wattage (amps) are available. In our village, I found out, each house is provided 10 amps. That will not run one A/C unit, I wanted two A/C, refrigerator etc… Had to get special connection from electric company for adequate wattage ($900 for connection fee) and then had to run line to property – 300 meters of 2X16mm cable– an extra several hundred dollars. (But that gives me 15kw of power – enough to run a house with full amenities.
This happens in the suburbs too. We leased our previous place from an okhna who thought his house was up to spec, and we leased it to run as a guesthouse. We found we couldn't run more than one AC and HWS at the same time without tripping out the house. Not good when you've six guest rooms as well as your own space, and two fridges. It took significant effort to get the power supply upgraded, the response from EdC was "that area no power" - perhaps they are mystics, because "this area no power" a lot now. That's why we're installing solar - which admittedly won't run AC or HWS.
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:43 pm I do have a really excellent tiny house idea though that; while not on wheels, could still be movable. I think there is a good market for something like this, because you could get long term land leases, and place these there. Expats could buy the 'pod' or structure and move it to leased land.

I can share more info on that if anyone wants to see more on it.
Please share - we're not looking to buy or build until I hit Australian retirement age, but we'll be staying here for life and a portable house would be ideal. Have considered converting sea containers, but there just isn't the savings factor here - cheaper to build.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:25 pm
Please share - we're not looking to buy or build until I hit Australian retirement age, but we'll be staying here for life and a portable house would be ideal. Have considered converting sea containers, but there just isn't the savings factor here - cheaper to build.
Its built on a lazy susan. You can rotate to avoid or gain sunlight. You could also rotate if you had solar panels.

You could pour a pad and set up the center drain and the metal track, then drop it on.

Of course, you could just build the thing and place it on a platform with no movement.

I think it is brilliant and seems like a fun project or business?? These things could easily be sold and solves the land ownership problem.

https://www.curbed.com/2016/5/19/117129 ... chitecture
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic