Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
Personal Jesus
Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm
Reputation: 3
Australia

Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by Personal Jesus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am

I have AIS in Thailand, I am guessing that that will not work?

Any suggestions?

I will only really use it for maps and hotel wifi for everything else.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by StroppyChops » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Personal Jesus wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
I have AIS in Thailand, I am guessing that that will not work?

Any suggestions?

I will only really use it for maps and hotel wifi for everything else.
It will work if you turn on global roaming before you leave, but be expensive, and your data may not be as reliable. Pick up a tourist SIM when you arrive, if you're coming in through an airport. The sales outlets are clearly marked.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Personal Jesus
Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm
Reputation: 3
Australia

Re: Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by Personal Jesus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:00 pm

StroppyChops wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm
Pick up a tourist SIM when you arrive, if you're coming in through an airport. The sales outlets are clearly marked.
Coming in via bus, and exiting via plane.

Tourist SIMs easy to get in Siem Reap?
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by StroppyChops » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Personal Jesus wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:00 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm
Pick up a tourist SIM when you arrive, if you're coming in through an airport. The sales outlets are clearly marked.
Coming in via bus, and exiting via plane.

Tourist SIMs easy to get in Siem Reap?
Don't know.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 91
Great Britain

Re: Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by Yerg » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Personal Jesus wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:00 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm
Pick up a tourist SIM when you arrive, if you're coming in through an airport. The sales outlets are clearly marked.
Coming in via bus, and exiting via plane.

Tourist SIMs easy to get in Siem Reap?
Just had some friends visit SR, however they flew in. Like in PP, they picked up a SIM at the many cell counters at the airport, just flashed their passport and "job done". Seeing as these counters also cater to regular customers too, I would hazard a guess that you could (in theory) walk in to any mobile company store in town, and ask for a tourist SIM with your passport?? Just a guess.

[NB: SR is far more geared for tourists than PP, so you could live in hope...]
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9230
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1697
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by phuketrichard » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:29 pm

ais works fine in Cambodia, ( and everywhere i have traveled in se asia an the states) but as ur on roaming its expensive;
i use my ais sim and a Cambodian metfone sim in my dual sim tablet
sims are available everywhere
I didn't know there were"tourist" sims like Thailand offers.
ur only there a short time so it really doesn't matter which one u buy
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by StroppyChops » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Yerg wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 pm
Personal Jesus wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:00 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm
Pick up a tourist SIM when you arrive, if you're coming in through an airport. The sales outlets are clearly marked.
Coming in via bus, and exiting via plane.

Tourist SIMs easy to get in Siem Reap?
Just had some friends visit SR, however they flew in. Like in PP, they picked up a SIM at the many cell counters at the airport, just flashed their passport and "job done". Seeing as these counters also cater to regular customers too, I would hazard a guess that you could (in theory) walk in to any mobile company store in town, and ask for a tourist SIM with your passport?? Just a guess.

[NB: SR is far more geared for tourists than PP, so you could live in hope...]
Actually I think the travel agents stock them as well.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 91
Great Britain

Re: Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by Yerg » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:12 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:29 pm
ais works fine in Cambodia, ( and everywhere i have traveled in se asia an the states) but as ur on roaming its expensive;
i use my ais sim and a Cambodian metfone sim in my dual sim tablet
sims are available everywhere
I didn't know there were"tourist" sims like Thailand offers.
ur only there a short time so it really doesn't matter which one u buy
When I first arrived in PP, I bought a SIM from Cellcard. $1 for the SIM and $6 or $7 for a 30-day package with I think 6 or 8 GB data included. I agree with @phuketrichard that I don't think Cambodia has a tourist SIM per se, you just buy a SIM.
Personal Jesus
Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm
Reputation: 3
Australia

Re: Whats a good SIM card for 8 days in SR and PP?

Post by Personal Jesus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Yerg wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:12 pm

When I first arrived in PP, I bought a SIM from Cellcard. $1 for the SIM and $6 or $7 for a 30-day package with I think 6 or 8 GB data included. I agree with @phuketrichard that I don't think Cambodia has a tourist SIM per se, you just buy a SIM.
Ok should be fine then.
Thanks for all the replies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crob, Duncan, Kuroneko and 124 guests