How much would it cost?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: How much would it cost?

Post by Username Taken »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm Original CEOers, who was it that did a build like this about 4 or 5 years ago and shared the progress photos as he went - paid about $6k for it?
MIght have been @Duncan . Sadly, all the photos have gone. general-chatter/another-new-house-t1423.html
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:19 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm Original CEOers, who was it that did a build like this about 4 or 5 years ago and shared the progress photos as he went - paid about $6k for it?
MIght have been @Duncan . Sadly, all the photos have gone. general-chatter/another-new-house-t1423.html

A couple of photos of the finished product . Sadly the [ brother in law ] father of the 4 kids passed away about a year ago, so it was worth doing knowing that the kids have a roof over their heads. They sell a few things in the '' shop '' at the front.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:34 am
Username Taken wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:19 pm

A couple of photos of the finished product . Sadly the [ brother in law ] father of the 4 kids passed away about a year ago, so it was worth doing knowing that the kids have a roof over their heads. They sell a few things in the '' shop '' at the front.

I would suggest, if you build this style home, using 3M instead of the 2.5M wall height for ceiling fans and heat ventilation. Also a ceiling and raised roof with long overhang to keep sun off the walls and for air circulation to keep from creating a solar oven could also be used as a balcony.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Cambodian wife and I are nearing completion of our home construction in her home province.

Few things to be mindful of…

Contractors construction cost estimate; found out later that estimate only covered labor – not material. Big surprise… I thought that the estimate was very low. Nobody’s fault – language and cultural differences… They thought I knew and I thought when you get estimate was more inclusive.

Roof: rafters (steel) and tiles not included. Does include sub-roof: Cement poured on steel plates. Flat. Peaked exterior roof separate.

Electrical wiring not included – contracted with separate electrician.

Note about electricity; If you want to have A/C and refrigerator be sure ample wattage (amps) are available. In our village, I found out, each house is provided 10 amps. That will not run one A/C unit, I wanted two A/C, refrigerator etc… Had to get special connection from electric company for adequate wattage ($900 for connection fee) and then had to run line to property – 300 meters of 2X16mm cable– an extra several hundred dollars. (But that gives me 15kw of power – enough to run a house with full amenities.

Also, even apart from the current rotating power outages, service in the villages is undependable = $1,300 for diesel generator capable of handling A/C and refrig and freezer.

Labor for installation of doors, windows and security bars included – but not purchase of same.

Extended overhangs (awnings) on original diagram not included in original cost estimate. It did not occur to anyone to tell me that – add another $7,000

Original estimate was $85 m2. House will come in at about $350 per sq meter. Includes large sliding glass doors, oversize windows and electric roll-up doors on detached wood-working shop – splurged on myself and also putting a urinal in the shop ($45).

Living space is 72 m2 (sq meters). Breezeway for outdoor dining and outdoor cooking 30 m2 and work shop is 30 m2.

Other miscellaneous add-ons: Septic tank, patio slabs, floor tiles, kitchen counters and sinks, water tank… On and on and on….

Following the discussion with interest re stilts – cooling - but I am old so built at ground level – no stairs or steps, all ramps, for when I get even older… Home overlooks back water of ‘lagoon’ from Mekong so has good evening prevailing breeze.

Happy to discuss any details in detail.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Photos can tell the whole story and more ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Can we please have as many photos as you choose to share. I am also interested in building and want to explore all options.
Photos of all stages if you have them please.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

total size is 72m2 with porch or? western or khmer kitchen, ( big frig, stove built in counter, wall/under counter cabinets, oven?)
1 bedroom, 1 toilet?
2 phase/or 3?
where did you source all ur supplies? PP?
How many outlets/wall, down low or?
style roof? tiles/metal?
what is ur water supply? for Kep we had to go down 30 meters to get good water :-(
$350 / seems the high side, I am budgeting $300/ all included

Thanks,
Personally am not looking forward to this upcoming build. one i did in Thailand was relatively hassle free and took only 6 months for a 225 Sqm2 house
Gf's sister hose is already 4 months under construction and barley 25% done... 125 Sqm2 house
2 bedrooms, 3 toilets, western kitchen all in quoted, ( 3 air cons, kitchen, bathrooms, good beds) at $40,000
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:21 pm Plant trees around where a house may be built in the future, so you have shade. Trees have a cooling effect.
First thing we plan to do. Her idea Even. What trees would you choose?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:20 pm Stilts for me.
Breeze, view, tree tops, no aircon needed. Birds not chickens.

But WHY did the Khmers build on stilts traditionally ??

Best three explanations I have heard;

1/ Breeze, view, tree tops, no aircon needed. Birds not chickens.
2/ Floods, and general rainy season wet feet.

** 3/ According to Garnier and Delaporte from the French Mekong Expedition of 1866 -68,
On stilts so as to be safe from the "pestilence of wild beasts - rhinoceros elephants tigers" etc.
The elevated houses are usually wood, right? I am pondering if wooden construction is now more expensive than Brick and Concrete. Also, to do it right is another thing. I have seen 2x3 'joists' 30 inches apart with heavy wide boards nailed to them, and that is called a floor.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:57 pm
Username Taken wrote:@Barang chgout, care to post some pics of your house?
Try Aven's on fb or, ....really, I'm allowed back?Image

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
How clever and absolutely fantastic!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic