Living In Kampot

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ozguyinshv
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Living In Kampot

Post by ozguyinshv »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:48 am
les.kaye wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 pm Thanks for your help - unfortunately - we had already booked & paid for this trip before we realised how bad it was supposed to now be - although our accom (the Secret Garden) still has amazing reviews so it can't be too bad for 3 nights right!
Beachfront & cocktails for 3 days - I can put up with that! :D
Not gonna lie, I'd take the financial hit and go straight to Kampot, it's really not worth spending more time in a dusty, loud, polluted, smelly construction site.

The water and electricity might not work.

After 1 hour I had transport booked for the following day. You can always make money but you can't always make time.

I second this - I would be prepared to lose the money rather than stay in SHV. I worked there from August 2018 - January 2019. Worst place I have ever lived/worked in. Can't believe I even lasted that long.Go straight to kampot
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

The Secret Garden is in Otres Beach. I haven't been to Otres since last October and it was still OK. I hired a bike and went into Sihanoukville to see if the stories were true. They were true. I looked around for 20 mins then got on the bike back to Otres. I'll never go back to Sihanoukvile. I'd say stay, the beach there is still nice.
tommyruff
Tourist

Post by tommyruff »

Hi, I'm Australian and my wife is Cambodian. We have just recently bought a block of land at Kampot not far from Starling Farm. 23mx30m block from the starling Farm owner who is developing. I was googling rain water tanks and septic tanks and happened across this forum. I'm not really sure if this land will be an investment or whether we will build on it and use for a semi retirement home to stay a few months every year. I guess I'll have to research more info on what's required to build there.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Secret garden is still there and is/was by all accounts a good place. That said I have heard the peace and quiet is shot and the original owners sold up and moved on a few months back so even they must have seen what was coming and didn't like it. If you go through with it let us know what it was like.

Johnny
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

If you're looking for more peace and quiet 30 minutes further east, check out Kep.
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

Thanks for that - Ill go for the 3 days as I do like to make my mind up myself & can't afford to lose the money - I'll respond after I've been! Thanks again!
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

Paulo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:29 pm The Secret Garden is in Otres Beach. I haven't been to Otres since last October and it was still OK. I hired a bike and went into Sihanoukville to see if the stories were true. They were true. I looked around for 20 mins then got on the bike back to Otres. I'll never go back to Sihanoukvile. I'd say stay, the beach there is still nice.
Thanks Paulo - appreciate the feedback :)
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

tommyruff wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 pm Hi, I'm Australian and my wife is Cambodian. We have just recently bought a block of land at Kampot not far from Starling Farm. 23mx30m block from the starling Farm owner who is developing. I was googling rain water tanks and septic tanks and happened across this forum. I'm not really sure if this land will be an investment or whether we will build on it and use for a semi retirement home to stay a few months every year. I guess I'll have to research more info on what's required to build there.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that - do you live there now or in Australia?
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

johnny lightning wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:43 pm Secret garden is still there and is/was by all accounts a good place. That said I have heard the peace and quiet is shot and the original owners sold up and moved on a few months back so even they must have seen what was coming and didn't like it. If you go through with it let us know what it was like.

Johnny
Thanks for that update Johnny - the emails I have received back from the Secret Garden are still being sent by the same peron that had it a fair while ago so that news was interesting - I am certainly still going & will certainly let you know what it is like - thanks again for your feedback :)
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

Kampoochie wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:01 pm If you're looking for more peace and quiet 30 minutes further east, check out Kep.
Yep will stop by & have a look at Kep too - thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic