Induction Cook tops.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Induction Cook tops.

Post by timmydownawell »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:40 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 am I was thinking of buying a hot plate as I find the gas rings are useless for slow cooking as the minimum setting usually produces a small flame which blow out when the fans are on.

I looked at some induction plates in K-Four and they ae only about $60 for a large one. But I knew you had to use a steel pot (actually it needs iron) aluminium wont work. I had no idea what 'Induction' meant. I googled it and found this site which explained it all quite clearly. I'm sold on the concept. I like the idea I can bung all the ingredients for a curry in the pot and set it to low and then go for a few beers. You can't do this with the gas hob. I also like the idea of getting rid of the gas bottle.

I suppose the next step is to go and buy one and see what it's all about...

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/induct ... ktops.html
I was using mine to make bone broth. I wanted to reach a low boil/lozy simmer which is critical because you let it go 48 hours. If its too hot, the broth will not be clear. Also, it kept turning itself off after a few hours, so I couldn't let it go all night. After having a gas stove with a dial for so long, I really appreciated how I could fine tune the temperature perfectly to whatever needs I had. The induction is good for some things, and not for others I think.
Rice cooker might work for this?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:40 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 am I was thinking of buying a hot plate as I find the gas rings are useless for slow cooking as the minimum setting usually produces a small flame which blow out when the fans are on.

I looked at some induction plates in K-Four and they ae only about $60 for a large one. But I knew you had to use a steel pot (actually it needs iron) aluminium wont work. I had no idea what 'Induction' meant. I googled it and found this site which explained it all quite clearly. I'm sold on the concept. I like the idea I can bung all the ingredients for a curry in the pot and set it to low and then go for a few beers. You can't do this with the gas hob. I also like the idea of getting rid of the gas bottle.

I was using mine to make bone broth. I wanted to reach a low boil/lozy simmer which is critical because you let it go 48 hours. If its too hot, the broth will not be clear. Also, it kept turning itself off after a few hours, so I couldn't let it go all night. After having a gas stove with a dial for so long, I really appreciated how I could fine tune the temperature perfectly to whatever needs I had. The induction is good for some things, and not for others I think.
I made bread in one once. I also boiled potatoes once I learned how to hack it. haha. Never had a rice cooker in the west, go figure. Anyhow, I make a huge stock pot full of the stuff, so wouldn't be nearly the volume to make it worth the effort.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:40 am

That is why I love my slow cooker. Dump everything in in the morning, come back to a nice feed at night.

Having said that, it has been a pain to cook anything of late what with all the powercuts. Luckily, we have a gas cooker as a back-up.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Get a slow cooker similar to pic below, they cost around $19 for small and $29 for large. They stock them at Sunsimexco, Ltd near Psar Thmai #89 Preah Sihanouk Blvd (St 274)

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am I highly doubt anyone has tried to cook a 10 course thanksgiving dinner with turkey in a microwave, even though most households hold them as essential appliances now. (I do not, I gave it up and refuse to use it for 5 years now)
But you could cook a turkey dinner, or any roast dinner for that matter in a turbo convection oven. I also use mine for cooking pizzas. They are obtainable most cookware outlets, for around $65. I got mine a few years ago at a Sunsimexco Christmas sale for $45. Incidentally I use my microwave most days, often for thawing out frozen food prior to cooking.

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

RickyBobby wrote:I highly doubt anyone has tried to cook a 10 course thanksgiving dinner with turkey in a microwave, even though most households hold them as essential appliances now. (I do not, I gave it up and refuse to use it for 5 years now)
Microwaves don’t work that way. They aren’t designed to really cook a turkey. They heat the water molecules inside the food, warming it up. Special pots and containers can be used to cook rice and spaghetti using a microwave. It isn’t as flavorful as cooking.

Since I have no cooking skill, I tend to buy restaurant food or precooked food (aka TV dinners) and microwave them to hot before eating.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Induction tops need a huge amount of power. Even on the west some houses need a new power main to make them work. Ir so I’ve been told.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I had a nice commercial one for awhile.
The big differences between the various models are 1) the size of the coil 2) how intelligent the computer is.
Small coil= smaller heating surface
Less advanced computer= slower cycling times.
I loved mine for long simmers, holding milk for cheese making, and for boiling a pot of say pasta water fast. They also don't dump heat into the room except from the vessel being heated itself.
The newest generation will work with copper and aluminum too.
up to you...
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:55 am
RickyBobby wrote:I highly doubt anyone has tried to cook a 10 course thanksgiving dinner with turkey in a microwave, even though most households hold them as essential appliances now. (I do not, I gave it up and refuse to use it for 5 years now)
Microwaves don’t work that way. They aren’t designed to really cook a turkey. They heat the water molecules inside the food, warming it up. Special pots and containers can be used to cook rice and spaghetti using a microwave. It isn’t as flavorful as cooking.

Since I have no cooking skill, I tend to buy restaurant food or precooked food (aka TV dinners) and microwave them to hot before eating.
The only ingredient required in order to know how to cook is desire. I don't know why people think its some kind of mysterious thing that only women can do. They think its more convenient to run around to find cooked food or someone who can. I think its a lot more convenient to do it myself. Not only that, you can control your diet, eat healthier and have fun too. Yes, cooking is fun, and a great way to spend time with family.

If you can read, you can cook. Don't be pathetic; learn to cook. You begin, you burn some things, but most of your mistakes are edible, and if not, grab that TV dinner.

As a bachelor who has lived alone for too long, I have found economies of scale and batch cook a lot which gets portioned and frozen. Then, I just add some fresh stuff and feed myself well and fast.

Bone Broth Portions for Freezer.
Zucchini portions for freezing. (goes in bone broth with meat and eggs or whatever)
Porkchops, Cooked and portioned for freezer. How anyone could mess up cooking a pork-chop is beyond me.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

You begin, you burn some things, but most of your mistakes are edible, and if not, grab that TV dinner.
I'd rather scrape off the burnt bits than have a TV dinner. Never eaten on in my life I think (eaten plenty of charcoal though).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic