Living on a Houseboat in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Living on a Houseboat in Cambodia

Post by cptrelentless »

They second happiest event in a boat owner's life is when he sells it. The money vortex.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I lived on a floating house on the lake for two months one time.
Another trip was a 30 day circumnavigation of the lake in rainy season, stayed in 19 different tiny/small floating villages. Those houses and that life are pretty close to my idea of heaven - but my water world is primarily salty.

You will notice that people do not live in floating houses on the coast, for very good practical reasons - tide, currents and the on-shore monsoon. Even in the estuaries I don't think it is practical - and believe me I have seriously considered it.

My plan is to live on a boat full time, but to have a base onshore. Later this year, if Neptune/Huie allows.

PS, that tin can, pictured above, looks like hell to me. If you are seriously considering it - go up to the lake and have a look at the real thing.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I considered the aspect of living on a boat here. I have friend's with boats as part of their business, and pleasure.
It's worth considering how much room you would be comfortable to live in, or at least sleep.
Maintenance would you do this alone or take it too a boat yard. If it's wood, and it will most likely be due to not a lot of choice, it needs to be taken out of the water once a year for the hull treated. Sea fishing boats may not navagate down some waterways, due to the large hull. The same for riverboat being shallow could be unstable at times of the year in the sea. $10.000 - 30.000 may get you something, to start the project of fitting it out for your purpose.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 am I considered the aspect of living on a boat here. I have friend's with boats as part of their business, and pleasure.
It's worth considering how much room you would be comfortable to live in, or at least sleep.
Maintenance would you do this alone or take it too a boat yard. If it's wood, and it will most likely be due to not a lot of choice, it needs to be taken out of the water once a year for the hull treated. Sea fishing boats may not navagate down some waterways, due to the large hull. The same for riverboat being shallow could be unstable at times of the year in the sea. $10.000 - 30.000 may get you something, to start the project of fitting it out for your purpose.
All too true Andy, and wise -it is not for dreamers, or at least not for dreamers who are not also hard-core realists.
Nobody should buy a boat or consider this lifestyle without extensive experience of the practical realities.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have always wondered why someone has not bought two of those bigger boats that the Cham fisherman use, and lashed them together to make a catamaran. With a cabin between the two and covering three quarters of each boat that is a large living space. Add a simple mast and sail for when there is a breeze and twin motors, and it would be good enough to take adventure cruses up the Mekong.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I spent a couple of years researching and dreaming about living on a sail boat. I followed some peoples blogs. The same wanderlust and "get me outta here" sentiment led me eventually to Cambodia, but that's another story.

Its still on my bucket list to do some blue water sailing adventuring. Slowly but surely, I a knocking them off.

The 'become a billionaire' one might need a rethink though.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:24 am Think about security. As soon as you leave it, someone may attempt to steal something. Dogs may be an answer to this.

Think about where you can park it.
Yes, but some cheap meat will satisfy the dogs long enough for the thieves to get what they want and get away.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

How does a person take a shower on those Khmer boats? Scoop out some pristine Mekong river water and dump it over your head?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 am How does a person take a shower on those Khmer boats? Scoop out some pristine Mekong river water and dump it over your head?
In most cases they jump into the river.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:03 am
Tarndog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 am How does a person take a shower on those Khmer boats? Scoop out some pristine Mekong river water and dump it over your head?
In most cases they jump into the river.
But what amount a normal person?? Haha
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic