Induction Cook tops.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Induction Cook tops.

Post by RickyBobby »

I am intrigued and equally confused with these. Its incredible how fast they melt frozen soups and sauces, and also bring water to a boil.

I have one I use sometimes in my chalet in the west, but to be honest, I cant quite get on to it like I can with my gas burner. I don't understand or trust this thing, and find it hard to control.

Do you have one, and if so, what are the tips and tricks you have learned to use it properly?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Induction Cook tops.

Post by timmydownawell »

Use the + and - buttons to control the temperature. How hard can it be?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am Use the + and - buttons to control the temperature. How hard can it be?
Its not steady, for example, if I want a low simmer/boil, it surges then stops: repeat. Also what kind of witchcraft is this? (yes, I know how to google)
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am Use the + and - buttons to control the temperature. How hard can it be?
Its not steady, for example, if I want a low simmer/boil, it surges then stops: repeat. Also what kind of witchcraft is this? (yes, I know how to google)
Well yes, that's how they work. I don't have any problem with that.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I was thinking of buying a hot plate as I find the gas rings are useless for slow cooking as the minimum setting usually produces a small flame which blow out when the fans are on.

I looked at some induction plates in K-Four and they ae only about $60 for a large one. But I knew you had to use a steel pot (actually it needs iron) aluminium wont work. I had no idea what 'Induction' meant. I googled it and found this site which explained it all quite clearly. I'm sold on the concept. I like the idea I can bung all the ingredients for a curry in the pot and set it to low and then go for a few beers. You can't do this with the gas hob. I also like the idea of getting rid of the gas bottle.

I suppose the next step is to go and buy one and see what it's all about...

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/induct ... ktops.html
Last edited by Doc67 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 am
RickyBobby wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 am
Well yes, that's how they work. I don't have any problem with that.
This is true of all electric hobs I think. They get a blast of power when they cool down a bit and then it cuts off when the set temperature is reached. How sensitive or accurate they are probably depends on the quality of the appliance.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 am I was thinking of buying a hot plate as I find the gas rings are useless for slow cooking as the minimum setting usually produces a small flame which blow out when the fans are on.

I looked at some induction plates in K-Four and they ae only about $60 for a large one. But I knew you had to use a steel pot (actually it needs iron) aluminium wont work. I had no idea what 'Induction' meant. I googled it and found this site which explained it all quite clearly. I'm sold on the concept. I like the idea I can bung all the ingredients for a curry in the pot and set it to low and then go for a few beers. You can't do this with the gas hob. I also like the idea of getting rid of the gas bottle.

I was using mine to make bone broth. I wanted to reach a low boil/lozy simmer which is critical because you let it go 48 hours. If its too hot, the broth will not be clear. Also, it kept turning itself off after a few hours, so I couldn't let it go all night. After having a gas stove with a dial for so long, I really appreciated how I could fine tune the temperature perfectly to whatever needs I had. The induction is good for some things, and not for others I think.
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

Go into any commercial kitchen and you will see gas cookers, that should tell you all you need to know.

No other form of heating gives you the instant control from very high heat to low of off instantly.

You get more versatility for grilling, stirring, simmering, searing, and flambeing, which can't be done that efficiently or at all with other forms of heating.

Also, gas has no after burn - you turn the gas off and it doesn't burn.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:40 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 am I was thinking of buying a hot plate as I find the gas rings are useless for slow cooking as the minimum setting usually produces a small flame which blow out when the fans are on.

I was using mine to make bone broth. I wanted to reach a low boil/lozy simmer which is critical because you let it go 48 hours. If its too hot, the broth will not be clear. Also, it kept turning itself off after a few hours, so I couldn't let it go all night. After having a gas stove with a dial for so long, I really appreciated how I could fine tune the temperature perfectly to whatever needs I had. The induction is good for some things, and not for others I think.
How about a basic hot plate? Any pot will do then. Not sure of the power consumption over 48 hours, your broth might work out a bit on the expensive side. Interesting that inductions have an auto shut of after a few hours, might have to read the manual befoe buying one.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

RogueAnt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 am Go into any commercial kitchen and you will see gas cookers, that should tell you all you need to know.

No other form of heating gives you the instant control from very high heat to low of off instantly.

You get more versatility for grilling, stirring, simmering, searing, and flambeing, which can't be done that efficiently or at all with other forms of heating.

Also, gas has no after burn - you turn the gas off and it doesn't burn.
Right, I've just been spoiled. I think that fire heats and cooks food. I don't understand the mechanics of induction, as the top of the thing is also not hot except for a transfer of heat back down from the pot and borscht above.

I think it has limitations, and probably is ideal for some applications and not for others. As someone else pointed out you need a certain pot. My large Teflon fry pan doesn't work on it, and so I have the butane flame burner for it.

I highly doubt anyone has tried to cook a 10 course thanksgiving dinner with turkey in a microwave, even though most households hold them as essential appliances now. (I do not, I gave it up and refuse to use it for 5 years now)

If your cooking is a bit more advanced, it would either take a lot of time to adapt your approach, or may not actually yield the superior results you are aiming for. I am unsure.

I like the hot plate idea. If you are not paying the electricity bill, its definitely ideal, but this invection seems very energy efficient, to be true.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic