Living In Kampot

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Living In Kampot

Post by les.kaye »

Hi - my friend & I will be visiting from Australia next week - staying in Sihanoukville for a few days & making an overnight trip to check out Kampot as a retirement destination for
3-6 months per year...... wondered if they were any Aussies retired in Kampot that would like to meet up for a coffee/drink/dinner to have a chat about your experiences living there & we could pick your brains :newbie:
Also looking for the best way to travel from Sihanoukville to Kampot - leave in the morning - overnight & then back to Sihanoukville the next day - taxi?
Thanks for any assistance :wave:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Living In Kampot

Post by explorer »

Sihanoukville is a large Chinese construction site. Dont even go there.

Just go to Kampot.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Just one question - why stay in Sihanoukville (SHV) at all ?
Otherwise, for transport SHV-Kampot, try FB page "SHV Expats and Locals", or there's a Share Taxi page too. Mottah Travel on Ekareach St in SHV are also very efficient. ( Opposite Caltex or phone 0129966040.)
However, the road between SHV and Kampot is quite rough, so only do a return trip if you really must. It would make better sense to do a triangle PP-SHV-Kampot-PP, if you really have to go to SHV.
Good luck.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

The only reason to visit is to leave!

Take this hilarious back and forth in The Simpsons that I've altered slightly for comedic effect.

Homer: Awww. This isn't gonna be about Jesus, is it?
Reverend Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this. Your son has been working in a Sihanoukville.
Helen Lovejoy: Principal Skinner saw him with his own eyes.
Principal Skinner: [appears from behind Reverend Lovejoy] That's true, but I was only in there to get directions on how to get away from there.

Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Ton of Aussies in Kampot. Many are refugees from Sihanoukville. Try Raging Bull Sports Bar, Bundy bar or Salt Bar to name a few, all run by Aussie's with plenty of Aussie patrons.
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

Thanks for your help - unfortunately - we had already booked & paid for this trip before we realised how bad it was supposed to now be - although our accom (the Secret Garden) still has amazing reviews so it can't be too bad for 3 nights right!
Beachfront & cocktails for 3 days - I can put up with that! :D
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

LaudJohn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:38 pm Ton of Aussies in Kampot. Many are refugees from Sihanoukville. Try Raging Bull Sports Bar, Bundy bar or Salt Bar to name a few, all run by Aussie's with plenty of Aussie patrons.
Thanks for that - will put those on my list to check out :)
les.kaye
Tourist
Australia

Post by les.kaye »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 pm The only reason to visit is to leave!

Take this hilarious back and forth in The Simpsons that I've altered slightly for comedic effect.

Homer: Awww. This isn't gonna be about Jesus, is it?
Reverend Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this. Your son has been working in a Sihanoukville.
Helen Lovejoy: Principal Skinner saw him with his own eyes.
Principal Skinner: [appears from behind Reverend Lovejoy] That's true, but I was only in there to get directions on how to get away from there.

Hahahaha - makes me want to go just to see how bad it is!!!
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

les.kaye wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 pm Thanks for your help - unfortunately - we had already booked & paid for this trip before we realised how bad it was supposed to now be - although our accom (the Secret Garden) still has amazing reviews so it can't be too bad for 3 nights right!
Beachfront & cocktails for 3 days - I can put up with that! :D
Not gonna lie, I'd take the financial hit and go straight to Kampot, it's really not worth spending more time in a dusty, loud, polluted, smelly construction site.

The water and electricity might not work.

After 1 hour I had transport booked for the following day. You can always make money but you can't always make time.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

You will be in the middle of a building site surrounded by chinese beating the shit out of each other with iron bars or machete's there will also be the lovely aroma of raw sewage being discharged into the ocean right by the beach bars.Take a financial hit and go straight to Kampot.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic