16yo Girl Dies Suddenly of Rabies, 3 Months After Dog Bite

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

16yo Girl Dies Suddenly of Rabies, 3 Months After Dog Bite

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Svay Rieng, Cambodia News: A 16-year-old girl student at HE Svay Chrum High School has died after being bitten by a dog nearly three months ago. The case of the deadly bite happened in Daun Leab village, Kok Pring commune, Svay Chrum district, Svay Rieng province.
On April 11, 2019, the girl was suddenly taken with seizures and high fever and she died soon afterwards. Her mother, a 43-year-old widow, said that the family had very little money, and that her daughter was a talented student on a 100% scholarship.
The mother said that Rarissa, her only daughter, was bitten by a dog about three months ago, but she thought that she was alright and anyway there was no money to get a rabies vaccine.
This is a terrible blow to the family and the whole village is very shocked at the death.RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 16yo Girl Dies Suddenly of Rabies, 3 Months After Dog Bite

Post by JerryCan »

Very sad.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm curious, isn't 3 months a "normal" incubation period for rabies?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

They should prosecute the owners of dogs which bite people, and kill the dogs. Some dog owners have a very slack attitude, not caring if they bite people.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

explorer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 pm They should prosecute the owners of dogs which bite people, and kill the dogs. Some dog owners have a very slack attitude, not caring if they bite people.
Of course they should.

Just like they should stamp out corruption and enforce road rules and labour laws and ensure free and fair elections, etc.......
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

JerryCan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 pm Very sad.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm curious, isn't 3 months a "normal" incubation period for rabies?
Yes, looks like it is, but it can vary. I suppose the mother in this case had no idea. How very sad.
Rabies Symptoms
In most cases of rabies, symptoms first appear one to three months after infection with the virus. Early symptoms are often similar to those seen with the flu and may include fever, headache, and general tiredness. In addition, the infected person may experience discomfort, numbness, or pain at the site of the bite. Progressive symptoms of rabies can include such things as insomnia, slight or partial paralysis, hallucinations, and hydrophobia (fear of water).
An Introduction to Rabies Symptoms
When a person is infected with the rabies virus, the virus multiplies within the body until symptoms develop. This time period between infection and the onset of symptoms is called the incubation period. The rabies incubation period may vary from a few days to several years, but is typically one to three months.

When the rabies virus reaches the brain, it multiplies quickly and rabies symptoms begin. Over the next week, the rabies virus causes encephalitis and ultimately death.
http://rabies.emedtv.com/rabies/rabies-symptoms.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic