Motorbike lessons

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Motorbike lessons

Post by canucklhead »

Cambodia is no place to learn how to ride a bike.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

canucklhead wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 am Cambodia is no place to learn how to ride a bike.
In what other country (except Thailand and Vietnam) could you learn to ride and experience so many hazards.

With an instructor up to IAMS standards, it would be ideal.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Thank you everyone for replying. Been travelling for a bit and ... yeah. :)

Gonna start with this suggestion. Makes a whole lotta sense.... I used to mountain bike almost everyday till my early 20s and then stopped cold-turkey when my favourite trails were closed off for redevelopment. For some unknown reason, I've not been on a bike since.

This would be a good start. Thank you.... :) I'll post updates if possible... If all else fails, at least my beer gut will disappear... hahaha..

:beer3:
John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:43 pm
explorer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:56 pm Start with a bicycle, and get familiar with the mad drivers here at a low speed, before even considering a motorbike.
That's not bad advice. I learned how to ride a manual motorbike when I was about 15, on open ground with no traffic. I tried instructing a couple of friends in how to ride in the intervening period and they both crashed in seconds. The traffic here is very unpredictable, so I've always been reluctant to ride one here. The very odd time I've taken an automatic down the road in the evening when it's not busy. Otherwise I just cycle, probably 10-15 km every week day for about a decade, mostly early mornings and late afternoon when it's not too hot. I've never had an accident involving another vehicle, just fucked up a couple of times driving through giant puddles that hid large drain holes. And one time when I drank too much with some soldiers near my house. I only had to go about 100 meters but fell on my ass about 10 times. They took the piss about that for months after. :beer1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic