Cambodians often imagine things which are not true

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Cambodians often imagine things which are not true

Post by TOG »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 am Lost in their money equations is that I am married to missus, not them.
You always post interesting items that make good reading so keep it up.

However, are you wrong on this one.

When you married your wife, you married the entire family. Sad but a fact of life. Get used to it now, it won't change.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I love it when someone is angry with you for something that happened in their dream.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

My read on OP's situation: Khmer people often see barangs as soft, people who aren't constantly trained in the fires of bickering and protecting every last penny they have.

They're seeing how far they can push you.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

@newknewkidontheblock

You have some interesting times ahead of you. Once you realise you are married to her family, you will have to sort out another quandary........ The inside and the outside of the family.

I will let you work that one out. Give it 30 years or so and it will all make sense.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The smartest thing I ever did in Cambodia, (unconsciously); when i arrived I made sure everyone was clear on my fiscal policy. I hate money, i don't have any money, the last thing i am aiming for is to get lots of money, and that every little bit of money that comes my way goes toward improving my relationship to wild animals, birds and dolphins.
So, i got a fab wife - and peace with her family.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 am Due to changing plans, I was forced to scramble for expensive tickets to Cambodia next month. Her family told me not to bother to visit missus and instead send the money (I would have spent) to them (not missus).

Why? Because one brother needs a new car, one brother in law needs a new car, one brother needs a new moto. Needs = wants. As in wants something shiny and new to impress the young ladies at the drinking place.

Lost in their money equations is that I am married to missus, not them.
Those must be very expensive flight tickets NK to buy two impressive cars and a moto. I think the money is better spent than on a First Class $50,000 ticket, so I agree with the family.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic