Airtravel - Bunkbed in the Cargo Section coming !

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Airtravel - Bunkbed in the Cargo Section coming !

Post by kaputt »

Yes, finally we see a solution to the long haul air travels. It doesn't matter wether you are in Economy or First Class, sitting in a chair for more than 10-15 hours is a torture.

Now we could see an alternative even for those that travel Economy Class. The Bunk Bed, familiar to many Expats and Tourists alike is on the horizon. That should improve long haul travel substantially and could even come at a price that is suitable for low budget travelers. It's unfortunate that the A380 of Airbus will be no longer produced because it's too heavy and uses too much fuel and faces restrictions at many airports that just can't handle a plane that size...., but perhaps we will see a comeback if this Bunk bed Solution becomes reality.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... ?gallery=0
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Airtravel - Bunkbed in the Cargo Section coming !

Post by kaputt »

Wow, Airtravel will become a lot more comfortable - News from the Hamburg Fair AIX

The seetee chair: Flying on a Sofa
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

The crystal cabinet awards:
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... ?gallery=7
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I wonder the capacity of doing sleeper style like the sleeper buses vs: traditional seating. In the bunk style arrangement of the sleeper bus, is the capacity that much different?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:56 am I wonder the capacity of doing sleeper style like the sleeper buses vs: traditional seating. In the bunk style arrangement of the sleeper bus, is the capacity that much different?
Oh Hell, RB. I see you on the flight now -
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger
What a disturbing image to have with my morning coffee.
I hate people who dribble on planes.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

How can it be cheap when the airline must give up more valuable cargo space? They make more money with cargo than passengers.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:56 am I wonder the capacity of doing sleeper style like the sleeper buses vs: traditional seating. In the bunk style arrangement of the sleeper bus, is the capacity that much different?
Very different.

To be the same, you would have to go about 4 bunks one on top of the other. There is not enough space to do that.

Imagine bunks squashed in side by side, and you get to sleep with the fat man next to you. So you would also need more space sideways as well.

They could make them pod style, but you could still not squash people in like being seated.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Too much square footage for each passenger to be cheap. And too much dead space with aisles. Plus loss of cargo revenue.

Also, is that supposed to be your place for the entire flight? What about when you want to sit up and have a meal or watch TV. Do you have another upright seat for that?

First class seats, plus their wider aisles, plus the toilet to passenger ratio, plus bigger galleys take up about 10 economy per one seat all in. Hence a first class ticket is about 10 times the price.

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We're all aware this first came out on April 1 a few years back, right? We're just pretending we don't know it's a joke ... right? C'mon guys, right?

Edit: Oh, my mistake, I was thinking of the cargo pod April fool's joke, in which you were loaded into a pod, possibly with complete strangers, as luggage, and then loaded by forklift into the plane. I should have actually - you know - looked at the article.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:16 pm We're all aware this first came out on April 1 a few years back, right? We're just pretending we don't know it's a joke ... right? C'mon guys, right?

Edit: Oh, my mistake, I was thinking of the cargo pod April fool's joke, in which you were loaded into a pod, possibly with complete strangers, as luggage, and then loaded by forklift into the plane. I should have actually - you know - looked at the article.
What? Someone stole my future air travel idea.

Bunks.
Fantasy. Not a chance. Can/could be used during flight, but you’d need to be seated for take off and landing with ready access to emergency exits. So, below decks wouldn’t be steerage class, because you’d be paying extra for the space. Talking of space- that would be creating a lot of non revenue space, resulting in higher ticket prices which passengers traditionally don’t like.
Rather similar in idea but less workable than that o’Leary idea of standing with bum perches.

Now, the cargo pod option. I think has merit so long as you do it slightly differently. Anaesthetise the passengers once seated. Pre-boarding, you’ve pre paid for an intravenous/feed tube of your selected refreshments. Cabin crew would simply monitor life signs, and during arrival, administer the required wake up. Ta-da, no more unruly passengers on airplanes, everyone wakes up having had a good sleep, and still has there blood alcohol too high to be responsible for themselves at destination.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:40 pm Anaesthetise the passengers once seated. Pre-boarding, you’ve pre paid for an intravenous/feed tube of your selected refreshments. Cabin crew would simply monitor life signs, and during arrival, administer the required wake up. Ta-da, no more unruly passengers on airplanes, everyone wakes up having had a good sleep, and still has there blood alcohol too high to be responsible for themselves at destination.
This should be mandatory for bogans and Chinese.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic