Camry Car Full of Eagles Stopped in Kratie

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Camry Car Full of Eagles Stopped in Kratie

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Tarndog wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:35 pm Ok, at a roadblock, there are multiple officers. So how the fuck is it possible the driver can just get away by running?

Has he been caught yet? Is his identity being withheld because he's some fucking Chinese rich prick who is above the law?

Are penalties multiplied because of evasion? Running away didn't seem to hurt the girl driving the Range Rover.
The drivers ALWAYS escape.
Look at 99% of reports of timber transporting busts, same story. The vehicle and timber are confiscated - and then the negotiations begin...

The driver is meaningless, he has no money - and if prosecuted would it highlight the bust, and all the secret arrangements around it.
And sometimes, the driver is the one who carries the cop's first ambit claim, and contact details for negotiations, back to the $$$man behind the scam.

Wildlife is bit different. A much more varied set of circumstances.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 pm
hanno wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:32 am Little Tern, you need to update your handle; it is now "Sternula".
Busted. Good spotting.

It was the species that gave me my kick start as a naturalist, so one of my faves. They hadn't split the genus at that stage so I stick with the original, being an old fashion kinda guy.

I could argue the point, below is from the current updated official scientific "description".
Bonn as Sterna albifrons, CAMBA as Sternula albifrons, JAMBA as Sterna albifrons, ROKAMBA as Sterna albifrons

But I won't argue. You are right, this group of small terns are now correctly called: genus, sturnula.

Best... Stern A Abifrons, - still.
I follow HBW, but yes a lot of discussions. Just bought the new Birds of Vietnam and got like 20 armchair ticks with all the splits.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Hey, how come we don't have a dedicated permanent wildlife channel/topic/thread on CEO???
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If you were to travel around a little there are some good, and also some unexpected wildlife too be seen in the provinces.
But also unfortunately plenty too maybe seen on dinner plates, this is how it is here. I wonder if the car full of birds had a better chance where they were going. I know the statement is negative to some views, but it is how I have viewed. The other day someone showed me a photo they had taken here of a very rare bird world wide, it was a young female, so chance for more offspring, but! also I have seen people eating some protected animal.
It's so blatant in this country of what is protected but is not. Wildlife, timber, sand the list goes on, again there is one hand receiving goodwill and donation, and the other hand is selling what is being protected, but the third hand is dipping into both.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

hanno wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm
hanno wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:32 am Little Tern, you need to update your handle; it is now "Sternula".
Busted. Good spotting.
I follow HBW, but yes a lot of discussions. Just bought the new Birds of Vietnam and got like 20 armchair ticks with all the splits.
What is your total now Hanno?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Busted. Good spotting.
Not sure, around 5,000 I reckon.
console
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by console »

Tarndog wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:35 pm Ok, at a roadblock, there are multiple officers. So how the fuck is it possible the driver can just get away by running?

Has he been caught yet? Is his identity being withheld because he's some fucking Chinese rich prick who is above the law?

Are penalties multiplied because of evasion? Running away didn't seem to hurt the girl driving the Range Rover.
If you are running a ring like this you can afford to grease some palms....
Freelance coder / web developer. I make REAL web applications.
c#, NodeJS, Python... Contact ME !! I work for 50c beers !!!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

hanno wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Busted. Good spotting.
Not sure, around 5,000 I reckon.
"around 5000"

:bow:
:good:
:beer1:

I am in awe of you blokes.
(That is more than half the number of all bird species on the planet everybody)

Have the doctors got a name for that particular psychiatric disorder yet?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 am "around 5000"

Latest study estimates there are 18,000 species: https://www.amnh.org/about/press-center ... -the-world

I am not a fanatic but been lucky having lived in some countries with lots of birds. Started birding in Kenya, spent a lot of time in SE Asia, but also lived in China, Dubai, Europe with many trips to other great birding locations.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

hanno wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:39 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 am "around 5000"

Latest study estimates there are 18,000 species: https://www.amnh.org/about/press-center ... -the-world

I am not a fanatic but been lucky having lived in some countries with lots of birds. Started birding in Kenya, spent a lot of time in SE Asia, but also lived in China, Dubai, Europe with many trips to other great birding locations.
Thanks for that doc. It doesn't surprise me.

But for now - the current number of scientifically accepted species is still around 9-10,000 yeah. ??
At least until all the splits are worked through.

What is your favourite single species out of your 5000?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic