A $2000 bottle

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

A $2000 bottle

Post by RickyBobby »

You have a rare $2000 bottle of Alcohol. (your favorite; be it wine, scotch, brandy, liqueur any ... )

What special occasion in your life would merit your popping the cork?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
expatbullshiters
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A $2000 bottle

Post by expatbullshiters »

[Admin Edit: Trolling.]
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

The day the superpowers finally push the button and the underground Noahs ark starts all over again.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

RickyBobby wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:23 am You have a rare $2000 bottle of Alcohol. (your favorite; be it wine, scotch, brandy, liqueur any ... )

What special occasion in your life would merit your popping the cork?
That special occasion would be five minuets after someone gave me $3000 for the bottle,,, then I would pop the cork.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If Pol Pot's beautiful daughter decided to leave her husband and came around to pick me up in a Range Rover on our way to elope to the Maldives
I would happily crack open a bottle of 2000 Krug Clos D’Ambonnay Brut Champagne while we sneaked through the minefields by Phnom Malai.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:31 pm If Pol Pot's beautiful daughter decided to leave her husband and came around to pick me up in a Range Rover on our way to elope to the Maldives
I would happily crack open a bottle of 2000 Krug Clos D’Ambonnay Brut Champagne while we sneaked through the minefields by Phnom Malai.
Not unattractive, though plump

monstra mihi bona!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I was gifted a real bottle of Royal Salute by an ex-fiance that didn't get opened, and never quite knew what to do with it. When I traveled to meet Mrs Stroppy's father and step-mother for the fist time, I though it would be an appropriate occasion. After we'd all had a sniff, the bottle mysteriously disappeared into the back of the liquor cabinet, from where I'd have to retrieve it each day. I'd made it clear it was for us to drink together, not a gift.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I don't think anything in a bottle is worth $2000 except and unless I am the one that branded it and am profiting from it AND there are people stupid enough to buy it.

I do see the difference between 12 year old whisky and regular, as well as premium wines, but in each of these cases, the prices are usually not even double.

If you are some kind of expert, with special discerning abilities, you can make a case for it, however, for the basic layman, the differences between great and superb are negligible.

If you like to get sloshed, its usually only the first bottle that counts anyhow, and after that, its just about alcohol content, haha. Don't believe me, and search your memory banks for how well you judged the quality of your female companion when you woke up with a coyote beside you that you thought worthy while wearing your beer goggles.

I think if I had such a bottle, I would probably want to sell it and recover that value, which I would put to better use. If the rule was that I couldn't sell it, I would re-gift it to someone that appreciates such a thing more than me.

TBH it would be kind of like a burden of responsibility that I wouldn't want. Something that has true marketplace value, but in reality is otherwise of little value to me.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic