Lone Star review

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Lone Star review

Post by Lonestar »

The girls should be able to make you a pitcher of frozen margaritas............I will speak to my wife and maybe put it on special.

I would love to do some seafood Po boys.................but it would be very expensive to make, and does not keep well. I think people would likely walk in, see a Po boy for 8.00-9.00 bucks, and then order a burger. It would make a nice special.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

taranis wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:Nice report, and thanks a million for taking the time to format it correctly! !

What did your friend that didn't like it have?

I used to go there many times a week for lunch and love the food there!

And what did your other friends think?

I used to get their food delivered a lot too, and I was surprised at how well they packaged it to arrive hot and in good shape.

I'm guessing nobody had the ribs, because those are the freaking bomb! !
One of my friends said his chicken fingers were tasteless, one friend had a chili that was not in fact on the menu but they accommodated him anyway, we thought it strange it was not on the menu as we believed they place was in the chili challenge some time ago, so that was good of them. One friend in the group was American and he raved about the place, he was very happy with the food.
Chicken fingers are meant to be tasteless - they're baby food. If they're fried correctly- WTF do you want ? Nobody really makes good chili IMO. My 1st dumbass chili in college was better than the best I've ever had in a restaurant by a longshot. It's just one of the few things, due to time, labor, customer tastes, & pricing that you can do better yourself. Risotto is another. It's always a disappointment, (even when I'm paying big dough for it) because to do it properly, someone has to stand over it and work it for 20-30 mins. When shortcuts are taken, it sucks. Same with BBQ. It takes all day. At the LS, it's been smoked and they do a pretty good job. I've eaten everything on the menu and it has it's high and low spots, but the quality is usually pretty good. The fish tacos are excellent. IMO the chicken fried steak is the one to be avoided. The times I've had it - it was a chicken fried rubber bath mat- it would've set my best chain saw on fire. Cambodian beef just sucks & I've given up on it. I like the bar, bartenders, babies, vibe (except for the Fox propaganda) and most of all the hotel rooms. I stop in every time in PP, usually.
Last edited by wackyjacky on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

LoneStar,

I don't think it is an issue having children running around the restaurant. It is a service issue when they are to busy playing or caring for children rather than doing their job.

I have been going to Lonestar since it opened. The menu is Americana and good. Sometimes things get lost in translation with the Khmer cook though. I don't think I will get a burger there again. I am not a big fan of giant burgers. Then when it was soggy and fell apart that was enough. When I was there last my wife ordered a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. The cook put salt in the sandwich which made it almost inedible. If there was not salt it would have been fantastic. A grilled cheese sandwich needs butter on the bread before grilling it and LS does that. There are to many good things on the menu. The meatloaf is good. The fish tacos are good with excellent salsa. I have had the ribs but my wife does better at home. Overall I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. Lonestar is a place worth visiting.

picooie
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

If that happens in the future..........Please explain the problem to the staff and send it back. We will happily fix it, replace it, or refund your money. I can easily fix a problem in the kitchen.....if I know about it.
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by taranis »

404 Not Known
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Lonestar wrote:We will happily fix it, replace it, or refund your money. I can easily fix a problem in the kitchen.....if I know about it.
I put that to the test once just to see how cool they were when you weren't there once, LoL.

I ordered one kind of burger and they brought me out a different kind.

I pointed it out, she laughed and said she'd go make the right one and started to go, and that point I said was fine and ate it.

It really wasn't a big deal and I just wanted to see if they'd actually offer to do it nicely, which they did.

I've been told by my British friends that sending stuff back is an American thing. Maybe it is, but I hate it at places when they clearly goofed, but aren't willing to change it or want to debate for 10 minutes instead of just saying, "damn, we messed up your order, but worries, well fix it..."

I couldn't resist testing out their hospitality, LoL. They passed.

taranis wrote:
Chicken fingers are meant to be tasteless - they're baby food. If they're fried correctly- WTF do you want ?
I will tell my friend that chicken fingers are not supposed to have a taste, thank you.
LMAO!

I think it was a nice review here, and I hope nobody gives you a hard time for giving it less than 5-star's. Fair enough.

LoneStar is pretty cool and probably appreciates getting some feedback that offers something to improve on.

Oh, and they have union rings and FRIED OKRA! ! ! !

You can substitute them for fries! I freaking love okra! !
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mooser
Expatriate

Post by Mooser »

Well I think this review has turned 180 in LoneStar's favour. The general consensus is its a nice place.
I stay there when in town for a simple reason, great rooms, good food and drink, friendly staff.
Yes there are kids around, but this is cambodia, and I have no trouble with it. :beer3:
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

I accept kids in a khmer place where I pay 6000 riel for pork with rice but if i go to a western place I wanna chill out and would leave when screeming kids annoy me. Never seen any in LS though.
Ttr
Expatriate

Post by Ttr »

taranis wrote:
Chicken fingers are meant to be tasteless - they're baby food. If they're fried correctly- WTF do you want ?
I will tell my friend that chicken fingers are not supposed to have a taste, thank you.
Chickens don't have fingers.

:facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic