What is the custom if a khmer bridegroom pulls out of a wedding?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What is the custom if a khmer bridegroom pulls out of a wedding?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kayve wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm Compensation for loss of face, will probably keep the dowry. Maybe there's drama because he didn't give them the dowry before bailing :stir:
Yes, I'm unclear on this. I only briefly talked about this with Mrs Cargo after work but then she had to go out to visit her mother.

She started saying the bride's family were talking of police action on account of paying the dowry... Then when I asked whether he had paid it, she said yes (approx. $4-5,000) so I dunno what the issue is other than working out a settlement.

With the other family really pissed off ATM, they no doubt want to keep it all... Dunno what recourse he may have to get some of it back... Seems unfair to me to take it all.

In any event I will quizz further as to whether the dowry has or hasn't been paid.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:06 pm I've often seen Khmers (and occasionally westerners) who say they'll sue or have someone put in jail when they feel they have been wronged, regardless of whether laws have actually been broken. In the case of poor people it's usually because they simply don't understand how laws work, and in the case of rich people it's because laws are often regarded as a surpassable technicality. Either way it rarely amounts to anything.
Yes, i think you've hit the nail on the head. Lack of knowledge, threats and bluffs when you're pissed off..
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Well, it did indeed end up being a storm in a tea cup and I can report the couple got married the other day.

The khmer drama was all about the fact the groom lives in PP and the bride is in the province and there was a miscommunication about when he was expected to go to the province prior to the wedding. The bride's parents had expected him earlier and they feared he had cold feet, they couldn't contact him for some reason, hence got stuck into the groom's mother about it. That got Mrs Cargo and all the sisters worked up and I thought WW3 had started with heated phone conversations and talk of police and jail etc etc

The whole things sounds ridiculous looking back but it was what it was.

Anyway, Mrs Cargo reports that her 30 yr old brother is pretty happy having snared a nice, cute 17 yr old, original girl, slim, tall and white skin. Only problem is.. they are going to have fun getting to know each other coz apparently the bride is scared of the groom...and what happens next.. :mrgreen:
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:15 pm Only problem is.. they are going to have fun getting to know each other coz apparently the bride is scared of the groom...and what happens next.. :mrgreen:
Great story and it was worth following.

Don't worry about the groom and the bride. No difference between them and my chickens.

I put a new rooster in with the hens last week and he soon ran them to ground and performed like a champion. Now the girls all follow him around waiting for tit bits and favours.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

In missus province, one bride got cold feet and skipped out on the wedding. The local cops found her in Temple Town and dragged her back to make sure she got married.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:48 am In missus province, one bride got cold feet and skipped out on the wedding. The local cops found her in Temple Town and dragged her back to make sure she got married.
:stir:
??? dont buy that, why would police get involved??
my gf sister got married and left the guy the next day, she had t repay the $3,000 he paid for her.
she wanted more in life than growing rice. but felt pressured by the parents

so many of these stories start as something and than each time its told, something is added or subtracted.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

phuketrichard wrote:??? dont buy that, why would police get involved??
my gf sister got married and left the guy the next day, she had t repay the $3,000 he paid for her...but felt pressured by the parents
Ding. Mystery solved!

Arranged marriage, the bride price was high, and the family wasn’t interested in returning the money (and losing face to boot). Wild child was to be married off and no longer the family’s problem anymore. Police were thusly dispatched to retrieve the bride.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:15 pm The khmer drama was all about the fact the groom lives in PP and the bride is in the province and there was a miscommunication about when he was expected to go to the province prior to the wedding. The bride's parents had expected him earlier and they feared he had cold feet, they couldn't contact him for some reason, hence got stuck into the groom's mother about it. That got Mrs Cargo and all the sisters worked up and I thought WW3 had started with heated phone conversations and talk of police and jail etc etc
Typical khmer dumb drama, making a fuss before checking facts ...
Anyway wishing them a happy and wealthy married life.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kayve wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:04 am
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:15 pm The khmer drama was all about the fact the groom lives in PP and the bride is in the province and there was a miscommunication about when he was expected to go to the province prior to the wedding. The bride's parents had expected him earlier and they feared he had cold feet, they couldn't contact him for some reason, hence got stuck into the groom's mother about it. That got Mrs Cargo and all the sisters worked up and I thought WW3 had started with heated phone conversations and talk of police and jail etc etc
Typical khmer dumb drama, making a fuss before checking facts ...
Anyway wishing them a happy and wealthy married life.
From what I can gather, the people in Mrs Cargo's province are simple, rural folk and I don't mean that in a demeaning way..it's just in many cases, there's not a high level of education or worldly experience. I sense from all this, there's a lot of hearsay, even gossip and people jumping to conclusions as you say.

Mrs Cargo's mother has a farm and runs several cows, chickens and ducks. She doesn't like staying there coz there's no aircon, mosquitos, she can't charge her phone, the 4G internet sucks and she's woken up in the morning by the roosters haha. When I asked is their power in the nearby street, she said yes but her mum couldn't be bothered connecting coz she's already had her own generator from the getgo..lol

Mrs Cargo has had a relatively sheltered upbringing and is quite naive about a lot of things. It is really a small pond in the province. I think she's 'grown' a lot since she moved to the big smoke in PP and then later lived with me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic