Are mini mart clerks regularly screwing me out of 100-200 riel in change?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Are mini mart clerks regularly screwing me out of 100-200 riel in change?

Post by RickyBobby »

If it happens twice a day, its under $20 a year. Anthony Sexting is right, its not worth a normal persons time to worry about.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:Get exposed as what? You think the staff make the company policy? That "regardless of nationality" is meaningless, considering almost every single post of yours is complaining about Khmers cheating you or being stupid. You are a miserable penny-pinching old man who hates everything here, it must suck to be you.
Bravo JB! I really like this new you more and more!

Life is so short as it is, no time to waste actively trying to be as miserable as possible.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

And here, there's me getting scammed everyday giving money to the parking guy everywhere I go :( :(
Don't forget the water buffalo
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I had a sleepless night tossing, turning and worrying about all the issues this thread bought up for me last night.
So I turned over a new leaf this morning and suddenly started to get responsible with my money,
.. already the girls down at the mini mart are singing hymns about me.

33secs
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Circle K....

2 bottles of juice have 2000 riel printed on the actual packaging by the manufacturer (there's a thread all of its own right there), and 2300 reil on the fridge shelf.

My bill is $1.10, rather than 4600 riel....

I hand the guy 1 dollar and 500 riel.

He tells me $1 is 4000 riel.

OK, I say. And wait for my change.

He puts only a receipt in my hand and smiles.

My brain tells me he's stealing 2.5 cents from me. I boil with rage, spewing venom, peppering the counter, staff and rotating hot dog warmer with joy m'rays and chgai yooun jow. Slam the door and give him the throat slit gesture plus death stare and finger point through the window from the car park. Then I call him a c#nt for good measure, although it sounded more like caaant as I was using my brick top from snatch accent.

I drove away feeling like I got the message across to the evil khmers that the whitey dollar is an essential part of the economy. Triumphantly I drink my juice, and dwell on how I beat the system, how heroic I was in the face of such a barbaric shakedown, and how I would regale this event to my online chums and fellow trailblazers of the true price, at ceo.

So I start to organise my thoughts, predicting where and when holes would be picked in my story. And I realised that 4600 riel is actually $1.15 at his stated rate of $1 = 4000. So his automated system had undercharged me by a mighty 5 cents. I had gone from being overcharged 2.5 cents to undercharged 2.5 cents in 3 swigs of a peach juice drink, which tasted all the sweeter for it.

What a time to be alive.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Good story Andy and well written. (Even tho' I tremble that you may not being at least a bit ironic.)

Can you write a fictionalised/imagined version for us from the viewpoint of the cashier?

PS In 2005 I bought a large tetra pak of australian orange juice, it didn't taste good.
Date stamped 1993. Somebody told me there were warehouses full of UNTAC goods still being sold off by the random generals who had commandeered them way back then.

Perhaps you could include that in the next version - as the reason why the cashier kept his secret smile throughout.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I too would like ro read a short story from the clerks pov haha.

I'm short changed all the time. I might be naive because it seems like a genuine mistake by their reactions.
Then there are times where I think I'm being ripped off but I find out after it happens my math was off.
Still here, in country...
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I'll take my dictophone down there later and get his spin on events for you guys.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic