Food question #1 - for Americans

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Food question #1 - for Americans

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:43 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:21 pm Or you can splash out on pricier, better quality, imported crock-pots/slow cookers from places like Home Top, Home Fix, Aeon Mall department store, AFS (Australian Factory Seconds) Store, AU Surplus Store, K-Four, etc.
Good call. I've seen fancy pressure cooker types at AEON but that was near $100.

A few months back I got a nice slow cooker at K-Four. I've been using it 3 to 5 times a week since then and it works like a champ, no issues and K-Four gives a warranty with it. Looks like they're imported from Singapore.
Mrs S has a superb recipe for pulled pork and a few other slow cooker meals using local ingredients if you'd like them. She's out of country for a couple of weeks - hence the bacon and egg sandwiches - so it would take a while.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

johnny lightning wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:08 pm RB's chili was coming along nicely until the wheels came off. Pineapple in chili? WTF? And where is the beef mince? Sorry, that may actually taste OK but it ain't chili! If you did that in Texas you'd be shot (although that's not so unusual there). And no, I'm not a Yank!

Johnny
I like the pineapple, but its not a requirement, Chili is very forgiving and you can almost put anything in it, its a matter of taste.
Some people like corn even; I do not.

Of course there's ground beef, and a lot. (How many photo's is enough?) It's precooked 75%. (and drained) But the chilli goes longer, so the ground beef is added in the last couple of hours so it is not overcooked.

There's also maple syrup, but brown sugar would also do. Not too much, but it does add another layer.

ImageImageImageImage

Chili is always better the second day. I batch cook and portion and freeze a lot of my meals. It's efficient when you live alone.
Last edited by RickyBobby on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

johnny lightning wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 pm Sounds about right. However I have to admit a fondness for mushrooms and even a bit of bacon. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Johnny
Chili is like an quiche, you can put whatever you like in it and it is very forgiving.
Last edited by RickyBobby on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:00 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:13 am Where did you get the crockpot? Here in PP?
They're available at Psaar Thmei - your Khmer friends will tell you it's the laziest rice cooker they've ever seen. Make sure the vendor fires it up before you buy it, and keep in mind many are rejects. We have two, in two sizes, one of which is lazy like a budget massage, the other is Speedy Gonzales.
Crock pots are almost being given away now in the west, as the new hot trend is the "Instant Pot" which is a bit of a pressure cooker replacement of the slow cooker. It of course has all kinds of settings that the old style slow cooker (Warm, Low, Medium, High) dial didn't.

This one shown here (above) was not in the Bodge.

As people are migrating to that, they are throwing their slow cookers away, but on the shelf, they are barely $30. I have seen them though around Cambodia in the malls and grocery Stores.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:56 pm This one shown here (above) was not in the Bodge.
Surely you meant to write The Bodge?
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_butt

Deb's Pulled Pork

I made twenty pounds worth last weekend! delicious.

Pork "butt"--actually a cut from the shoulder

Rinse the large roast thoroughly, and pat dry with paper towels (reference feminine hygiene thread for alternatives)

Lay the rinsed roast on a baking sheet that has been liberally sprinkled--snowflake fashion (reference most threads with TOG and Explorer exchanging witty repartee) with the following:

1. 1/4 cup sea salt
2. 1/2 cup garlic powder
3. 1/4 cup paprika
4. 1/4 cup dried mustard
5. 1/8 cup pepper--use Kampot pepper, or anything good

Roll, roll, roll the pork Monty Python fashion until side B is thoroughly covered with the dry rub.

Next, sprinkle similar quantities on side a. Don't forget to cover both ends, and on occasion, there are flaps and divots that must be attended.

After thoroughly coating the above, put in an oven or crock pot fat side up, and cook low and slow for about 24 hours. It will look pathetic when it's done, like an old expat guy who's been sitting on a bar stool for too many years. Ha ha, just kidding!

After it's done, pull it out and place it on a large cutting board surrounded by paper towels or something to soak up the grease. There will be grease. Pull it apart with forks or fingers, and definitely give each cup or so a firm squeeze with fresh paper towels to get out excess grease. Put it back in the crock put and either add a little BBQ sauce to the sides of the crock pot allowing it to drip down and coat sides. This will leave the tasty pork looking delicious in the centre, and those eating can add their own sauce as they wish.

Enjoy!
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:02 am Roll, roll, roll the pork Monty Python fashion until side B is thoroughly covered with the dry rub.
So, while clopping coconut shells together then?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Newest future toy will be the Ninja cooker. Combo pressure cooker, slow cooker with separate lid to convert it to an Infrared cooker/browner/crisper. And all these delicious pork and bean recipes to try. Will have to put this thread on save until a real cook arrives for me someday.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The chilli I used to cook used chopped steak. A good knife was a must, and spare time. 2-3lbs of rump on a budget, dry rubbed in chilli pepper, cumin and coriander powder once chopped, and left overnight. Butter sweated garlic and onions in the early days. Fluid included beer (for both chef and ingredients) during cooking, as a slight, if less pissed nod to that great cook Keith Floyd.

I need to dig out the recipe and start cooking again.

Beans and tomatoes rarely, if ever added.

No pineapple.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 am Newest future toy will be the Ninja cooker. Combo pressure cooker, slow cooker with separate lid to convert it to an Infrared cooker/browner/crisper. And all these delicious pork and bean recipes to try. Will have to put this thread on save until a real cook arrives for me someday.
Not that good actually, check out the review here: https://www.tablefortwoblog.com/instant ... nja-foodi/

Instant Pot vs Ninja Foodi review
VERDICT: which did I end up choosing?

So after using the Ninja Foodi to cook dinner in for a week, I ended up PACKING IT UP AND RETURNING IT. Don’t worry, I kept all the packaging and washed it up real good. I just couldn’t get past the size of the beast (and its weight) and I didn’t see myself actually using the air fryer THAT often. And the fact I would have to be lugging out the machine just to use the pressure cooker wasn’t appealing. Additionally, I felt like the air fryer was more like a broiler than anything else.

If you decide to buy: ebay Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker OP302 1400 Watt Multi Cooker NEW, Warranty US $216.75 $80.12 International Priority Shipping to Cambodia via the Global Shipping Program. They go out of stock quickly so may need to check other options.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-Foodi-Pr ... 3143280373
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic