Chinese to build international airport in Koh Kong.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese to build international airport in Koh Kong.

Post by Paulo »

I notice many Cambodians studying and practicing Chinese at work. Some sounding pretty fluent now. I suppose if you can't beat them, then join them or perhaps they are looking for jobs at the new airport.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:And I am certainly sceptical when US spooks start spouting about "no tourists to be seen here".
(that is exactly why the yanks got their arse thrashed in Vietnam Laos and Cambodia by people wearing Ho Chi Minh sandals - bad bad bad intelligence, chasing shadows, and wilfully choosing to be ignorant to what actually was going on in real-life-reality)
I respectfully disagree.

The US war in Southeast Asia was won by the Americans who hated the government, their own people, and loved the communists. Constant media pressure and celebrities. The ‘useful idiots’ in Stalin’s world who won the war for Vietnam and Southeast Asia. Also there was a communist spy in the White House.

It didn’t help that America didn’t view the war as a war of national survival like World War 2 and Korea and tried to be politically correct and pandering.

Military, the US won every fight with the Viet Cong and the NVA.

Ho Chi Minh was paraphrasing the American Declaration of Independence to the Vietnamese people when the Japanese left.

War is coming with PRC China unfortunately. I don’t think anything will stop it. Hope it won’t happen in my or my children’s lives.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:51 pm War is coming with PRC China unfortunately. I don’t think anything will stop it. Hope it won’t happen in my or my children’s lives.
You are probably wrong.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Land disputants prove ownership at ministry
Soth Koemsoeun | Publication date 08 May 2019 | 13:26 ICT
Twenty-four people representing 77 families in Koh Sdech and Samrong Takeo communities in Koh Kong province’s Kiri Sakor and Botum Sakor districts were invited to the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction on Tuesday to prove ownership of their plots of land.

The families are involved in a decade-long land dispute with Chinese company Union Development Group (UDG).

Saing Puy, one of the 24 community representatives, told The Post on Tuesday that ever since the families submitted a petition to the ministry on December 1 last year, they had frequently requested intervention to resolve the dispute.

She said the ministry had not set a specific deadline for this.

“They ministry asked me to identify the location of my land and asked me how many years I had lived there as they were afraid I had counterfeit documents or had grabbed other people’s or state land. I worked with them honestly because I am not a fraud,” Puy said.

She said the 77 families have been living on the land, covering nearly 150ha, since 1980.

The dispute began more than 10 years ago when UDG began developing the area, she added.

The company destroyed crops and houses, Puy said, and took their land despite the residents having legitimate land titles.

After answering questions at the ministry and filling out documents to indicate the location of the plots, the group of representatives went to the Chinese embassy.
She said embassy officials acknowledged receipt of the petition and told them it was under review.

UDG was granted 36,000ha of economic land concessions to build tourist facilities, a commercial centre, an airport and a golf course at a total cost of $5 billion in 2008.
In 2011, the company leased a further 9,000ha.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... xkdTW4caIQ
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Koh Kong’s First-ever Airport to Complete in Mid-2020
AKP Phnom Penh June 19, 2019 --
Koh Kong province’s first-ever airport costing about US$2.2 billion is expected to be completed in May 2020, according to local media report.

The update was shared with the source recently by Mr. Wang Chao, Vice President of Union Development Group (UDG) in charge of the airport investment project.

By October 2019, the airport will be able to handle test flights, and the operation is scheduled to go official by the end of December of the same year – added the vice president.

Located in Botum Sakor district of the coastal province, the new airport once ready will have a runways of 3,200 metres and can accommodate about 400 airplanes.

The airport which began its construction in June 2018 will play a key role in promoting more tourists and investments to not only Koh Kong, but Cambodia at large.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/11627
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Except, there's already an airport in Kk. So that would have to be "Koh Kong's second ever airport....".

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:52 am Except, there's already an airport in Kk. So that would have to be "Koh Kong's second ever airport....".
The first one was closed down under pressure, then by agreement, with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. For being a major transhipment point back in the wild west days. (90's early 2000's)
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:52 am Except, there's already an airport in Kk. So that would have to be "Koh Kong's second ever airport....".
The first one was closed down under pressure, then by agreement, with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. For being a major transhipment point back in the wild west days. (90's early 2000's)
So is that why they have a wind sock there and helicopters regularly land and take off from there?

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote:
So is that why they have a wind sock there and helicopters regularly land and take off from there?

Choppers only.
LYP wants them so he gets them.
The airport was decommissioned around very early 2000's and as far as i know has not had a plane flight since then. (but i could be wrong)
The one time I looked closely, the strip appeared unserviceable.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Yeah, fair enough but it does suggest that Dara Sakor is hardly Koh Kong's, " First ever airport."!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic