Accusation of Theft From Phnom Penh Backpacker Hostel

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Accusation of Theft From Phnom Penh Backpacker Hostel

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This was posted on a South East Asia backpacker social media page yesterday.
OP answers the 'How do we know this is true ?' question that everyone asks in these cases:

The accused man is a male Algerian national aged 30 or 32. His first name is Brahim.
CEONews has further passport details.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Accusation of Theft From Phnom Penh Backpacker Hostel

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Same guy who got caught on CCTV stealing a moto a few days ago??? (Can't find the thread, but looks familiar if my memory serves me right?)
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:22 pm Same guy who got caught on CCTV stealing a moto a few days ago??? (Can't find the thread, but looks familiar if my memory serves me right?)
Is this the thread you mean?

topic27754.html
Thenewstoday
Expatriate

Post by Thenewstoday »

I think you could be right
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:30 pm
CEONews has further passport details.
Well why don't you share those details?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

if it isnt a criminal offence to leave your backpack unlocked and unattended with all those goodies in it in a hostel (aka thieves heaven) then it should be!
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

pczz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:11 am if it isnt a criminal offence to leave your backpack unlocked and unattended with all those goodies in it in a hostel (aka thieves heaven) then it should be!
Victim blaming? Foolish yes but criminal?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

This may well have happened exactly as reported, and if so, what a shame. Poor guy, and an idiot.

I'm yet to meet a soap dodger who DOESN'T know that your stuff will get nicked if you leave it a hostel - I can't help but think someone's pulling an insurance scam every time this happens. Chuck an old Nokia, a broken laptop, and a few bucks in a backpack and leave it where its likely to disappear, then claim your latest model mePhone, meBook and two thousand dollars are gone. It's a bugger when it doesn't pay off though, isn't it?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:08 pm This may well have happened exactly as reported, and if so, what a shame. Poor guy, and an idiot.

I'm yet to meet a soap dodger who DOESN'T know that your stuff will get nicked if you leave it a hostel - I can't help but think someone's pulling an insurance scam every time this happens. Chuck an old Nokia, a broken laptop, and a few bucks in a backpack and leave it where its likely to disappear, then claim your latest model mePhone, meBook and two thousand dollars are gone. It's a bugger when it doesn't pay off though, isn't it?
Insurance companies are strict on what they pay out on. If someone was negligent, they dont pay. So very unlikely.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

explorer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:08 pm This may well have happened exactly as reported, and if so, what a shame. Poor guy, and an idiot.

Insurance companies are strict on what they pay out on. If someone was negligent, they dont pay. So very unlikely.
And then you have a sob-story on which to base your GoFundMe ... or Blues song, I forget. Maybe it's both.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic