Bitcoin

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Bitcoin

Post by TOG »

Equinix wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 pm Crypto is the future. My recommendation would be to just HODL =)
Crypto is the future to ruin.

With a countries currency, at least you have a reasonable chance of security. With stocks and shares there are tangible assets and cash flow. With Crypto you have none. You simply rely on the scarcity factor and the hope that someone will offer real money for them.

The only real winners are the power companies that supply the electricity for the mining machines.

It's a mugs game for the gullible.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Bubble T wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 pm
davegorman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:53 pm You said you were not going to reply again. Who’s full of it spunk bubble.
I said that I had said all I had to say. Then you came in with more bullshit so I called you out on it. What's the problem?
Pointless internet argument. (Just like crypto)
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

davegorman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:57 pm
Bubble T wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 pm
davegorman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:53 pm You said you were not going to reply again. Who’s full of it spunk bubble.
I said that I had said all I had to say. Then you came in with more bullshit so I called you out on it. What's the problem?
Pointless internet argument. (Just like crypto)
So far you haven't made any argument. You made two bullshit posts, I called you out on both, you didn't even try to defend what you were saying. Why are you still posting? You did this exact same shit in the thread about the girl who got killed, derailing the thread with meaningless shitposts then crying "pointless internet argument" when you got called out on it. You have issues.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Can’t argue with that.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

RickyBobby wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 pm I am leaning towards some kind of secure storage device. I imagine its like holding cash, in the sense that it is untraceable any other way? The problem with it, is also like cash under your pillow, it can be lost, burned, or stolen.

The wallets, can they be hacked? What happens if you lose your password?

Its slightly nerve-wracking to wrap your brain around it all.

Did you make anything before you got out? Mine was up nicely, but then I also bought more. Meh.
Check out https://www.revolut.com/en-US/
In the english version you can trade various bitcoins without actually buying them, so if you just want to speculate and you are not moneylaundering or people mtraficking or whatever then its a safe way to play
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

pczz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:46 am Check out https://www.revolut.com/en-US/
In the english version you can trade various bitcoins without actually buying them, so if you just want to speculate and you are not moneylaundering or people mtraficking or whatever then its a safe way to play
Revolut is unlikely to sustain its existence past the next couple of years. Their compliance systems don't work and are getting them into trouble, top execs have been jumping ship (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... questions/), and they aren't playing fair with the leading exchanges which means they are going to get stomped on.

Stick with one of the leading, reputable exchanges. There are plenty that offer a wide range of funding options (including fiat).
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I'd rather buy a Fiat X1/9 and wait for it to appreciate.

Can't afford the 1953 Fiat 8V Supersonic. :(
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

If you're in Cambodia and you're looking to buy a hardware wallet, be VERY careful. Scammers will buy the devices and then alter them so that coins you deposit go into their account. Chain of custody is VERY important with Trezor and Ledger and I don't believe there are certified dealers here so if you're going this route a trip to Singapore or Bangkok may be in order.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

oopsfermi wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 am If you're in Cambodia and you're looking to buy a hardware wallet, be VERY careful. Scammers will buy the devices and then alter them so that coins you deposit go into their account. Chain of custody is VERY important with Trezor and Ledger and I don't believe there are certified dealers here so if you're going this route a trip to Singapore or Bangkok may be in order.
If you order directly from Ledger they ship here via DHL and the part of the package that contains the device has tamper evident tape on it. I've had Ledger Nanos and a Ledger Blue sent here without issue. That being said, the current trend (which I agree with) is to only use hardware wallets as decoys. Law enforcement and criminals who know what they are looking for will just force you to give them access as soon as they find the device. Keep a Ledger with a small amount, and keep your main stash in a cold storage, non-hardware wallet like Electrum. If law enforcement or criminals come and demand you turn over your crypto, just give them the Ledger and open access to it, and let them think they have won. :assasin:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

oopsfermi wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 am If you're in Cambodia and you're looking to buy a hardware wallet, be VERY careful. Scammers will buy the devices and then alter them so that coins you deposit go into their account. Chain of custody is VERY important with Trezor and Ledger and I don't believe there are certified dealers here so if you're going this route a trip to Singapore or Bangkok may be in order.
If only there was a solution to this. Like some kind of unalterable distributed ledger that would prove the hardware wallet to be genuine and traceable at every point of its logistical delivery.
:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic