Buying an unregistered moto - worth it?

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
ManicManc
Tourist
Great Britain

Buying an unregistered moto - worth it?

Post by ManicManc »

Hey everyone, quick question. I've seen a moto I like... only problem is it has Vietnamese plates and is unregistered in Cambodia.

What are your thoughts, worth the hassle with the police or just buy a registered one?

Cheers! :beer3:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Buying an unregistered moto - worth it?

Post by explorer »

If you abide by the law life is much simpler.

I would only recommend buying a Vietnamese registered bike if you plan to travel to Vietnam, and use it in Vietnam.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ManicManc wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 am Hey everyone, quick question. I've seen a moto I like... only problem is it has Vietnamese plates and is unregistered in Cambodia.

What are your thoughts, worth the hassle with the police or just buy a registered one?

Cheers! :beer3:
If the price difference is huge, it's maybe worth the hassle.
Or if its a model you really like that's not available here (although spares probably won't be available either in that case).
Or if you plan to use it around your place in the province.

In other cases it probably isn't worth the regular hassle with the police.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

If you are not khmer then you can't register it in your name
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

beaker wrote:If you are not khmer then you can't register it in your name
Yes, you can, if you formally import it and pay import duties.
Foreigners cannot register used bikes already registered in Cambodia, but they can import any vehicle, pay the duties and register it for the first time their name.
ManicManc
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by ManicManc »

Yeah I live in Phnom Penh so I guess the hassle I would most likely get from the police is not worth it. I'll just buy an already registered one.

Cheers for the advice! :D
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

epidemiks wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:15 pm
beaker wrote:If you are not khmer then you can't register it in your name
Yes, you can, if you formally import it and pay import duties.
Foreigners cannot register used bikes already registered in Cambodia, but they can import any vehicle, pay the duties and register it for the first time their name.
So what about used motos you see on khmer24 where shops say 'just arrived from Japan' and 'have tax paper' yet they don't appear to be registered/have plates on them.

Does 'tax paper' mean the import duties have already been paid however the moto hasn't been registered in anybody's name yet?

Can the moto be registered in a foreigner's name in these instances?

If so, what is the process and cost for registration? Would the shop arrange this prior to full payment for the moto?

Or, is it just too much hassle and one would be better off just buying a moto with an existing plate and rego card? Referring to used, not new motos.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Tax paper means it’s up to you to register it. Most of these fly by night importers won’t help.

Unless you’re buying a fresh import from a large Indy garage or a dealer (Honda, Yamaha etc) you will not be able to put the bike in your name.

Show me I’m wrong and I kiss OML full on the lips.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

clutchcargo wrote: Does 'tax paper' mean the import duties have already been paid however the moto hasn't been registered in anybody's name yet?
Yes
Can the moto be registered in a foreigner's name in these instances?
Yes
If so, what is the process and cost for registration? Would the shop arrange this prior to full payment for the moto?
Take it to the dept of transport and register it. Years since I did a bike, but there's fixers out the front to help if you don't have your own. Used to need a residency certificate to register, probably still do.
Or, is it just too much hassle and one would be better off just buying a moto with an existing plate and rego card? Referring to used, not new motos.
It was fairly painless back then. 45 bucks and a few hours.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

You still will not be able to register your vietnamese bike. It foirst has to be de-registered in Vietnam and any export taxes paid. The tax papers referred to in adverts MAY mean tax has been paid but alos may just mean they have all the relevant registrtion and tax docs from vietnam to ALLOE you to go and pay tax and register it. You cannot legally expeort a vehicke until it is de-registered in the county it was first registered in and any export taxes are paid if the bile was made their. Bike dealers can get round this but you can't technically although I know people who were never asked for documents
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic