Currency exchange HKD and USD in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lhyeung98
Tourist

Re: Currency exchange HKD and USD in Phnom Penh?

Post by lhyeung98 »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm I always used Ly Hour. I started using them when I changed to HKD as they were giving me a much better rate compared to a couple other smaller places I tried. Here are the locations.
https://www.travelvui.com/cambodia/phno ... hnom-penh/
Thanks for the link GMJS-CEO!

Will I have any problems changing HKD or USD banknotes that have been folded? I read somewhere that money changers in PP won't take banknotes that are creased.

Thanks.
lhyeung98
Tourist

Post by lhyeung98 »

Tarndog wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:46 pm
Kayve wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am
And 100$ bills are accepted from any era.
Um, no they're not. It's also a scam. Many places will tell you they are too old. Others will charge you extra for converting them to Khr.
Noted Tarndog
lhyeung98
Tourist

Post by lhyeung98 »

Just an update.

1. Tried to change HKD500 to KHR at moneychangers on St 172 but all 3 that I approached didn't have enough riels! I eventually changed the HKD500 to USD60. The rate (8.33) wasn't great given that the HKD / USD rate is pegged at around 7.78. This was also the best rate I got when I checked around Central Market the next day. General rule of thumb, the prettier the moneychanger, the worse the rate :lol:

2. Canadia Bank at Sorya Centre Point mall won't accept my HKD because they were too old (2010)!

3. But they were quite happy to break my USD100 (2006) into smaller notes.

4. Check the notes you receive VERY carefully. ANZ Bank on Sisowath gave me a $20 that had a small tear at one corner and shops won't take it. My fault, I saw what I thought was an odd crease crease on the note and didn't check it properly.

5. Service was fastest at the Public Bank branch on St. 130. And if you are breaking $100 they will give you only $10s and $5s, the other banks will always give you at least a few $20s.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic