Female Student Killed in Range Rover Hit and Run in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (UPDATE: Release from Prison)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Female Student Killed in Range Rover Hit and Run in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (VIDEO)

Post by explorer »

I am amazed that most people are concerned about her being punished, but noone seems concerned about introducing proper driver training, so these type of accidents can be reduced in the future.

This would be a real good opportunity to speak up about introducing proper driver training.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Female Student Killed in Range Rover Hit and Run in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (VIDEO)

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm I am amazed that most people are concerned about her being punished, but noone seems concerned about introducing proper driver training, so these type of accidents can be reduced in the future.

This would be a real good opportunity to speak up about introducing proper driver training.
Um, isn't she just 16 with no car licence?
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm I am amazed that most people are concerned about her being punished, but noone seems concerned about introducing proper driver training, so these type of accidents can be reduced in the future.

Speeding and killing someone is not an accident anymore than a drunk crashing into a bridge is an accident.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Um, isn't she just 16 with no car licence?
I don't know the laws, but my Lady just recently got her driving licence and had to go for many driver training lessons. I don't know if that was an optional part of the licencing or optional extra.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think we have all decided by now that the young lady was evil incarnate, and should be punished by one million days of the most depraved torture possible. However in real life she is just an idiotic teenager who was criminally negligent and drove like a lunatic and killed someone. She needs to be punished, but more importantly officials and tycoons shouldn't be giving their kids large vehicles. At least get them a decent driver/ goon. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:46 pm I think we have all decided by now that the young lady was evil incarnate, and should be punished by one million days of the most depraved torture possible. However in real life she is just an idiotic teenager who was criminally negligent and drove like a lunatic and killed someone. She needs to be punished, but more importantly officials and tycoons shouldn't be giving their kids large vehicles. At least get them a decent driver/ goon. 8-)
haha. My friend is a teacher and was nearly run over at the traffic lights by one of his students who was taking mates home.
"Where did you get the car? " he asks
'Dad bought it for me. he says its safer than driving a motorbike" came the brats reply
"Safer for whom?" asks my friend
brat was a female aged 14
Looks like the devils daughter is going to get off with $70k in compensation according to today's paper
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 pm I don't know the laws, but my Lady just recently got her driving licence and had to go for many driver training lessons. I don't know if that was an optional part of the licencing or optional extra.
I wasnt there, but I'll bet it was training in Cambodian style driving, not training in safe driving.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

explorer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:28 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 pm I don't know the laws, but my Lady just recently got her driving licence and had to go for many driver training lessons. I don't know if that was an optional part of the licencing or optional extra.
I wasnt there, but I'll bet it was training in Cambodian style driving, not training in safe driving.
I wont ask, because, I am sad to say, the answer will provoke a lot more discussion and very little clarity I fear. I suspect it was more about getting familiar with how to control a vehicle. To be fair however, the rules of the road are the same, and if they have a lot of experience in a moto, they a lot of that is transferable.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Yin Mana may still face jail time, says her lawyer.
Srey Sophannara, a lawyer for Ms Khun Mey’s family, yesterday said the agreement [$70k compensation payment to the victim's family] had been reached between the two parties voluntarily.

Regarding the suspect, Ms Sophannara said Ms Khun Mey could still be punished over the incident.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesman Ly Sophanna said a judge has ordered an investigation.

Ms Khun Mey was charged with reckless driving and negligence leading to a death. If convicted, she could be jailed for up to three years and be fined up to $3,700. She is now in pre-trial detention.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50593921/f ... ivil-suit/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:40 pm Yin Mana may still face jail time, says her lawyer.
Srey Sophannara, a lawyer for Ms Khun Mey’s family, yesterday said the agreement [$70k compensation payment to the victim's family] had been reached between the two parties voluntarily.

Regarding the suspect, Ms Sophannara said Ms Khun Mey could still be punished over the incident.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesman Ly Sophanna said a judge has ordered an investigation.

Ms Khun Mey was charged with reckless driving and negligence leading to a death. If convicted, she could be jailed for up to three years and be fined up to $3,700. She is now in pre-trial detention.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50593921/f ... ivil-suit/
Is this mush-brain smiling? He probably can't believe he only had to cut a $70,000 check. Lots of whiskey drinking with the lawyer this night.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic