Retirement visa changes?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Retirement visa changes?

Post by ned kelly »

Theres an agent in Kampot saying as of this year you need a letter of retirement,previously you only needed to be over 55.

Anyone heard of this change?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by davegorman »

I think it’s just a self declaration signed and thumb printed.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

What the heck is a letter of retirement? If one stops working, aren’t they ‘retired’? Does there need to be an official letter of permission from some higher authority in order to be retired?

Age number is used to start receiving social security, making withdrawals from IRAs/annuities, or whole life insurance.

So one could be in their 70s and 80s, collecting all of the above, and be happily working.

Or conversely, one could be in their 40s, not collecting all of the above, and not working.

I’m confused.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 am I’m confused.
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 pm

- Produce a stat dec stating that you do not, and do not intend to, work in Cambodia due to being retirede, etc.
- Provide evidence of sufficient funds for the duration of your Visa EOS.

You are at the mercy of the DoI Officials, you need to convince them of your eligibility. I know of several people in their 30's and 40's, and one 28 year old, who have received an ER EOS...I also know people aged between 50 - 55 who have been denied an ER EOS.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

ned kelly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 am Theres an agent in Kampot saying as of this year you need a letter of retirement,previously you only needed to be over 55.

Yes, I thumbprinted a letter stating how much I spent every month. Had to pay $5 for the letter (which the agent drafted after asking me how much I spent).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ned kelly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 am Theres an agent in Kampot saying as of this year you need a letter of retirement,previously you only needed to be over 55.

There is no change, no supporting documentation is required if you are aged 55+.

The only difference is that ALL Visa extension of stays now require a simple request letter, which any decent agent will do on your behalf, you just need to thumbprint it.

I would advise you to use a different agent.

Let me guess which agent told you that you needed supporting documentation...Meta?
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Brody wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 am I’m confused.
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 pm

- Produce a stat dec stating that you do not, and do not intend to, work in Cambodia due to being retirede, etc.
- Provide evidence of sufficient funds for the duration of your Visa EOS.

You are at the mercy of the DoI Officials, you need to convince them of your eligibility. I know of several people in their 30's and 40's, and one 28 year old, who have received an ER EOS...I also know people aged between 50 - 55 who have been denied an ER EOS.

Supporting documentation as per above only required if under 55
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 am
The only difference is that ALL Visa extension of stays now require a simple request letter

Just being pedantic here, but for EB EOS there's going to have to be a letter of employment from a registered company/business in Cambodia. Unless you are the business owner then you need to produce your business license, I think.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Brody wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:56 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 am
The only difference is that ALL Visa extension of stays now require a simple request letter

Just being pedantic here, but for EB EOS there's going to have to be a letter of employment from a registered company/business in Cambodia. Unless you are the business owner then you need to produce your business license, I think.
Yes, for 6 or 12 mth EB EOS...if employee, official letter of employment plus request letter. If Biz owner, letter of employment, business license, tax patent and request letter.

For 1 or 3 mth EB EOS...Work Permit and request letter.

If applying for an EB EOS as a non-working dependent or a non-working legal spouse of a Cambodian Citizen, then different documents are required.

But this thread is about the ER EOS...not the EB EOS.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:11 pm
But this thread is about the ER EOS...not the EB EOS.
True, sorry.

Interesting to read about the request letter. Rather simple but something that wasn't required of me last year for an EB-EOS.

It's good to learn of new developments. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic