Mr Butterfly 136

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Mr Butterfly 136

Post by Paulo »

Many noise complaints against Mr. B. Maybe he finally gave up the fight.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 am

Air Con inside that makes a difference, fans that make a difference both indoors and outdoors, clean comfortable seating (not broken plastic seats on rusty metals frames with rusty sharp bits just waiting to gouge you and/or rip your clothing), a bar area that gets cleaned regularly, clean toilets with soap and paper towels, decent staff and service, decent beer at $1 or thereabouts, good food.

Larry's, for example, ticks all those boxes, many others come close enough such as Cadillac which has 75c beer too. Both have a regular clientele as a result.

Cadillac loses money because you can't profitably tick all those boxes when selling 75 cent beer.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:39 am

Air Con inside that makes a difference, fans that make a difference both indoors and outdoors, clean comfortable seating (not broken plastic seats on rusty metals frames with rusty sharp bits just waiting to gouge you and/or rip your clothing), a bar area that gets cleaned regularly, clean toilets with soap and paper towels, decent staff and service, decent beer at $1 or thereabouts, good food.

Larry's, for example, ticks all those boxes, many others come close enough such as Cadillac which has 75c beer too. Both have a regular clientele as a result.

Cadillac loses money because you can't profitably tick all those boxes when selling 75 cent beer.
^This.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:39 am

I am regularly told this bar or that bar "loses money". I am not surprised that 75c is insufficient to generate a net profit unless they are extremely busy. I heard that beer costs about 40c (correct me if I am wrong) so the margins are thin but not unworkable if you sell enough of the stuff, i.e. a lot.

I was in Cadillac the other day and they are doing more renovation works on the right hand side of the place. Maybe this is funded by (yet more) capital expenditure rather than profits. It begs the question of when do you stop investing and start to demand a return on your investment?

I think many have become trapped with high levels of capex and their profit and loss still showing losses despite all their efforts. It must be soul destroying...
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

The Last Word wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:09 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:40 am No loss really, it's a dump.
and i wonder whats not a dump for you?

Mr Butterfly fails all those tests, hence my giving it the "dump" rating. Good riddance to it...

Many of the outdoor bars on 136 fail most of those tests too. They are in a prime position and most are a fucking disgrace to the city. Mr Butterfly will not be the last of them to close.
Cadillac ex Manhattan hardly makes if not any money hence it has changed owners how many times in the last couple of years. I'll rather make some money in a hole rather then burning a hole in my pocket.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Have you been to Larry's this year? It must be at an all time low because it's empty. I feel like everyone drifted away but I don't know to where.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

The Last Word wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:09 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:40 am No loss really, it's a dump.
and i wonder whats not a dump for you?

Mr Butterfly fails all those tests, hence my giving it the "dump" rating. Good riddance to it...

Many of the outdoor bars on 136 fail most of those tests too. They are in a prime position and most are a fucking disgrace to the city. Mr Butterfly will not be the last of them to close.
larries is a restaurant with a few girls. Butterfly is a lady bar.
Sexpats who come to asia to take advantage of cheap sex provided by poor people do not deserve any luxuries. they should justy go to public housing projects in their own country and take advantage of poor people from their own country instead
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

I rolled past the 51 complex today. Big dreams but few customers, and sadly the high season is over. Maybe Mr. B couldn't face another low season. Who can blame him; Riverside looked like a ghost town last low season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic