Anyone using an inverter generator here?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anyone using an inverter generator here?

Post by JerryCan »

We're running 2 standard generators during the power outages but they don't handle surges very well and trip up the UPS in our office all the time. So want to power the office with a smaller inverter generator possibly.

Wondering if anyone here is using an inverter generator (non name brand versions specifically like a knockoff Honda EU2000) to run an array of computers (two desktops with multiple monitors and a 1kw aircon).

Anyone information would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jerry
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Anyone using an inverter generator here?

Post by AndyKK »

I knew of someone on another site using one, said it did the same job your wanting it to do. I had a basic small honda copy and I could boil water from an electric kettle and run a power tool at the same time. They are cheaper @$230 but noisy.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Consider battery options. Even battery with solar.

The noise from generators may be a problem.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

explorer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:32 pm Consider battery options. Even battery with solar.

The noise from generators may be a problem.
Noise isn't a problem, already have 2 11 kw gennys for the bigger stuff but they're constantly dipping and setting off the UPS into backup mode.

Already have batteries too but they're not much good for running an inverter aircon, only the computers, and solar is useless for consistent power.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I had a quote for the genuine Honda inverter but at about $1300 it was too expensive.

You can get a good diesel gen set with about 8kva for under $1k which should run things without a struggle or I got a 20kva silent genset (albeit tefurb) for $4k
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

Element6 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 pm I had a quote for the genuine Honda inverter but at about $1300 it was too expensive.
Was that for the EU2000, or a bigger model? I recall the EU2000 being 800 some odd quid $1000? USD in the UK I think.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

JerryCan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:49 am
Element6 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 pm I had a quote for the genuine Honda inverter but at about $1300 it was too expensive.
Was that for the EU2000, or a bigger model? I recall the EU2000 being 800 some odd quid $1000? USD in the UK I think.
I think it was the eu2000 as it was a 2hp model. Was about a year ago so dont have the quote any more
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic