Scottish Man PAUL GRANVILLE HUGHES Arrested on the Streets of Siem Reap for No Passport

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Scottish Man PAUL GRANVILLE HUGHES Arrested on the Streets of Siem Reap for No Passport

Post by Pisshead »

Ricky Dunn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:51 am
jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:33 am When people can't afford to live in Cambodia, where do they go next ?, is there somewhere worse ?

Or is Cambodia generally the end of the line for the down & out druggies & alcoholics ?
If they had a brain, they would go to say Belgium and rob a bank, get caught and go to a nice clean prison with free food, free medical, clean clothes, etc.
But in KoW there is a GSM hooker and a 0.5$ beer bender ever now and then .
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Scottish Man PAUL GRANWVILLI HUGHES Arrested on the Streets of Siem Reap for No Passport

Post by pczz »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:42 am
pczz wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:21 am
DaveG wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 pm I know it's cold in Scotland but it must be better that living on the streets in Siem Reap, at least he would get a hostel and some JSA unless the Tories have changed it up there to UC.

How the hell do people end up like that, if I'm ever down to my last 500 USD im catching a flight back.
a hoistel? u r having a laff. he might get universal credit enough to buy a jam sandwich once a week , but that won't be paid till after he has froze to death. Lets nail this myth about uk benefits once and for all
In 2014 I had to sign on. i was given the princely sum of £70 a week as a single perosn. my gas and electric and water were £40 a week. bus fare to the dole office for @training@ was £35 a week and no they dont pay it.
In short he is probably better off sleeping in the streets here. he can catch a fish in the river and cook it or beg or ask the monks for help without being arrested, try that back in the Uk
I find it unlikely that your gas, electric and water was £40 a week. That's £180 a month. That's the price for a family house. Even with oil prices being double. You would have received housing benefit/mortgage relief as well. Plus the back to work scheme you were getting training on would have given you money towards your transport costs if they were valid. So yes, they do give you bus money. You only go to the dole office to sign on once a fortnight.
Wrong on all counts. My gas and electric were 60 a month, my water was 25. I did not receive any housing benefit because i had savings of 3000. My mortgage was 250 a month but they don';t pay that anymore. The back to work scheme does not pay fares or subsistence anymore. My bus fare was 5 return because i was in a rural area. one of my neighbours was 21 and he could not afford to attend the course. thye told him to walk the 5 miles. You are so out of touch i guess you have not claimed benefits since the toroes started their austerity program.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic