77yo Woman Allegedly Scammed by Deceitful Daughter, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

77yo Woman Allegedly Scammed by Deceitful Daughter, Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: On April 01, 2019, a 77-year-old woman, Pov Yon, went to file a complaint with police, asking for help after she got scammed out of US$17,000 by her youngest daughter. The victim had two daughters, the first daughter, 51-year-old and the second daughter, 40-year-old.
According to the victim, two years ago she sold her house for $27,000, she shared $10,000 with all her family, and she gave $17,000 to her youngest daughter to look after her in her old age.
After that, her youngest daughter took the money to buy a new house and other things for herself. However, when the mother needed to pay medical fees because she was sick, she was insulted by her daughter, who refused to give her any money for treatment.
So in the end, the old lady decided to file a complaint with the police to get her money.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 77yo Woman Allegedly Scammed by Deceitful Daughter, Phnom Penh

Post by Tarndog »

How insightful to Cambodia's money-me-now culture...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I was in a village recently and a lady there had experienced a similar thing. One of her children had borrowed money and had no intention of repaying it. The lady had financial difficulties as a result of this, which made her life difficult. She also didnt want to tell others bad things about her own child.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 am I was in a village recently and a lady there had experienced a similar thing. One of her children had borrowed money and had no intention of repaying it. The lady had financial difficulties as a result of this, which made her life difficult. She also didnt want to tell others bad things about her own child.
How did you get to know that, if she wasn't telling it?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

King Keil wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:36 am
explorer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 am I was in a village recently and a lady there had experienced a similar thing. One of her children had borrowed money and had no intention of repaying it. The lady had financial difficulties as a result of this, which made her life difficult. She also didnt want to tell others bad things about her own child.
How did you get to know that, if she wasn't telling it?
I was with a Cambodian friend, who is also a friend of hers. She was telling her friend.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Should have kept the money to look after oneself in old age :cry:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Sad, truly sad state of affairs
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kayve wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:57 am Should have kept the money to look after oneself in old age
Most people trust their children until something like this happens.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: Happens all over the world,family are family some are good loads are bad,just hits home here were there is no welfare state. :hattip:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic