Spend less when you speak Khmer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Spend less when you speak Khmer

Post by explorer »

I recently started the topic: If you learn Khmer, you may save on accommodation topic27860.html

There are also other situations where you may pay less.

I am in a lucky situation now with regards to buying meals.

I pay often $1 for breakfast. It is at a restaurant for tourists. I have been going there for some time, and the staff are my friends. It seems I am getting a special price. You can become friends with people like that easier if you speak Khmer.

I pay often $1.50 for my evening meal. It is at a place run by Cambodians for Cambodians. I have never seen another Westerner there. What I eat is very nice food. I normally buy drinks in addition.

I am only eating twice a day in an attempt to reduce body fat.

So I normally spend a total of $2.50 a day on food.

At some point in time I will move to another town and pay similar prices to others.

People on this forum sometimes talk about how much they pay for taxis and other transport. I normally pay less than the prices they talk about.

A good guide to transport prices is the bus prices. They are quite standard.

Some people hire taxis and dont even have enough people to fill the taxi. They often pay much more than bus prices. In some cases it seems they are being charged excessively high prices, and dont know what realistic prices are.

Minivans are often slightly less than bus prices. I often travel by minivan. Minivans often take you all the way to the guest house as well.

Even things like buying a bicycle. The bicycle shops which have a lot of foreign customers tend to ask high prices. Those which sell mainly to Cambodian people often have cheap prices.

If others have had experiences where they pay less when they speak Khmer, please share.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Spend less when you speak Khmer

Post by Kayve »

I pay hookas less when I speak khmer to them. (too early ?)
Don't forget the water buffalo
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:03 am
If possible with your schedule, I'd suggest eating more frequently, maybe 4 or more times a day, but just maybe not full meals, to spur metabolism. But sometimes that's not practical based on other facets of one's chosen lifestyle. Even for myself, I eat 3 times a day, all full meals. But if I were concerned about my weight, I'd make some adjustments like i mentioned.

Many people think that eating less often will help lose weight but in reality it makes it more difficult because your metabolism is slowed due to eating so infrequently.

In any event, good luck on the fat loss program. Good health makes everything just a bit better.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:03 am I recently started the topic: If you learn Khmer, you may save on accommodation topic27860.html

There are also other situations where you may pay less.

I am in a lucky situation now with regards to buying meals.

I pay often $1 for breakfast. It is at a restaurant for tourists. I have been going there for some time, and the staff are my friends. It seems I am getting a special price. You can become friends with people like that easier if you speak Khmer.

I pay often $1.50 for my evening meal. It is at a place run by Cambodians for Cambodians. I have never seen another Westerner there. What I eat is very nice food. I normally buy drinks in addition.

So I normally spend a total of $2.50 a day on food.

At some point in time I will move to another town and pay similar prices to others.

People on this forum sometimes talk about how much they pay for taxis and other transport. I normally pay less than the prices they talk about.

A good guide to transport prices is the bus prices. They are quite standard.

Some people hire taxis and dont even have enough people to fill the taxi. They often pay much more than bus prices. In some cases it seems they are being charged excessively high prices, and dont know what realistic prices are.

Minivans are often slightly less than bus prices. I often travel by minivan. Minivans often take you all the way to the guest house as well.

Even things like buying a bicycle. The bicycle shops which have a lot of foreign customers tend to ask high prices. Those which sell mainly to Cambodian people often have cheap prices.

If others have had experiences where they pay less when they speak Khmer, please share.
Where are you now? I would like to see you in action as I think I could learn a lot from you. Have you thought about starting a school to educate newbies about surviving and prospering in Cambodia.
I would sign up for your teachings. Can you teach Khmer to foreigners?
Have you considered a small pocket book with locations to find cheaper accommodation and what to say in Khmer to get better rates? You could list eateries you have visited and rate them on their prices.
Just a thought..
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Tarndog wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:14 am
explorer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:03 am
If possible with your schedule, I'd suggest eating more frequently, maybe 4 or more times a day, but just maybe not full meals, to spur metabolism. But sometimes that's not practical based on other facets of one's chosen lifestyle. Even for myself, I eat 3 times a day, all full meals. But if I were concerned about my weight, I'd make some adjustments like i mentioned.

Many people think that eating less often will help lose weight but in reality it makes it more difficult because your metabolism is slowed due to eating so infrequently.

In any event, good luck on the fat loss program. Good health makes everything just a bit better.
I eat OMAD 23/1. I.F. works great.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You can save a huge amount on sports cars.

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

Im Asian and i speak English and get the same prices as locals? it is very rare for locals to rip off foreigners. i've always paid what locals pay. i even get served first at bor bor place even when there's like 5 locals in front of me..
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

The Last Word wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:01 pm Im Asian and i speak English and get the same prices as locals? it is very rare for locals to rip off foreigners. i've always paid what locals pay. i even get served first at bor bor place even when there's like 5 locals in front of me..
Yep, very rare. Mhmmm... very rare.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bring it on explorer,
we all anxiously await ur blog, book, public appearances
Fuck , you could sell tickets!!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:51 pm Bring it on explorer,
we all anxiously await ur blog, book, public appearances
Fuck , you could sell tickets!!!!
It would be bigger than the Beatles..............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic